gauge of sheet stock - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2007, 09:34 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gauge of sheet stock

Im not smart on sheetmetal thickness. I know that 16 gauge is about 1/16" thick, but how thick is 18 gauge. Is there that much difference as far as bending to build a hood for my mini truck. My problem is getting the taper from the rear of the hood to the front. I may have to build it in sections. I have to make the bends myself, as i cant afford to have them done. i used this photo to show the taper im talking about. Hope the owner does not mind. Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32ford_190-small.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	24888  

Last edited by Mrwood; 10-13-2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: add photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2007, 10:57 PM
street rods forever

Last photo:

16 gauge is .0598 18 gauge is .0478 20 gauge is .0359

In my opinion 18 gauge is still to thick for a hood ,especially hand forming.
I used 20 gauge to build my hood,used empty oxygen bottle to form the round part shown in pic., then at the bottom end of the hood break a 90degree lip for stiffness....hope this helps...good luck

I was looking at your photos,nice work....I'm not sure what size the hood is lengthwise etc. that your going to make.. If they arent full size you could probably get away with 22 gauge with a few stiffeners underneath.Lots of variables 1 or 2 piece hood?.Should have a sheet metal break at least to get a nice clean fold line.Instead of oxy bottle you could use pcv plastic to form the curves .

Last edited by KRUZR; 10-14-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 PM

Heres some more sizes, just in case.

http://www.1969supersport.com/smthoughts.html

Rob

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com
Old 10-14-2007, 06:29 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Since your plan is to build a number of these mini vehicles, you might want to consider building a plywood buck for bending the hoods. I recently saw a picture of one but darned if I can find it for you now. Basically it was plywood "slices" of the hood spaced about every 6-8 inches. The slices defined the outside of the hood so that the metal was shaped inside the buck not over the top of the buck (hope that makes sense). I'll keep looking for the photo.

Edit added: I would think for what you are building 20 gauge would be fine. I use 18 gauge for the full size bodies I build and I think many body/fender folks prefer 19 gauge as the optimum for strength and ease of forming. I use 18 because I lack the finesse/skill to weld 19 or 20 without making a mess of things.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

re: gauge of sheet stock

I just thought that 16 gauge would keep my body pannels a lot staighter, and would save me a lot of body work. I tried bending some 16 and i thought it bent very nice with not much effort. All my work is done by hand, as i dont have the fancy equipment to user, so i find a way to do it the hard way. Where i will run into problems is that the cowl area is wider than the front area, and i know i will run into some problems getting the bend with the angles. So i plan to do it in 3 sections. As you can see in my photos i have the rear and front curves to bend the 16 gauge over. I hate to use 20 gauge, as i dont want to have this area cave in on me if someone happens to push down on it. Plus this will be painted black and i need good straight panels to start with so i dont have to do a lot of body work. My only eye just cant see good enough to see if i have any waves in my panels, so im trying to keep it easy for me to work with. If you think im wrong please let me know, as i trust what you guys say. But being almost blind makes it a lot harder than it use to be. I know i will have some filler to use in certain areas, but i want to keep it down as much as i can. Thanks for all the feedbacks. I have lots of new parts coming soon, so i can get a running chassis by the middle of next month. In the mean time i have a lot of finnish welding and grinding to do to clean my frame up. Hard to weld good when i can only see about 6 inches in front of me, so i have to get real close to see what im doing. Anyway thanks for all your help your giving me ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00004-small.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	24893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00005-small.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	24894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00007-small.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	24895  

Last edited by Mrwood; 10-14-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: words

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.