Hot Rod Forum banner

Gauge sizes

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Rocketbird 
#1 ·
Hello

I am looking at installing a Tachometer gauge in the location of the clock on my dash (49 ford club coupe) I am having trouble figuring out what size gauge I would need to fit in the 2 3/4" hole. Any ideas???

#8 ·
Why give up? All you have to do is make yourself an adapter ring - possibly out of aluminum. 2-5/8 hole or even the 2-1/16 version, then make it something like 3" OD(or whatever fits the recess after the clock bezel is removed) and use some small SS screws or even just the supplied bracket to hold it to the dash. I had a '53 Ford that I installed a S-W mechanical oil pressure gauge in the clock hole, and if I can recall that far back, it fit nicely

#9 ·
go for a junkyard crawl..
in the 68-72 chevy truck world..
a lot of people use the 79-81 camaro tach in the spot for the clock.. and it looks factory..
look around.. many factory cars have a tach..
changing the needle color to match isn't hard..
nor is having a vinyl gauge face made to match the look of your build.. to put over the junkyard find..
if you look at my journal, you'll see what I did for spacer rings,, I use wood..

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=112302&page=2&perpage=5&reverse=

#10 ·
an S-W oil pressure gauge? what does the s-w stand for?

Yes a junk yard crawl might be in order. Most of the junk yards in my area crush all the older cars but there might be a few kicking around in the back corners.

I don't really want to give up on my idea it is just that I am not that great at fabricating stuff so if I can find something that is an easy replacement thats usually the way I like to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.