Hot Rod Forum banner

Gauges

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  delawarebill 
#1 ·
Looking for some gauges for my 32 roadster. What is the best type to get for the best value ?
Thanks

#2 ·
Several things come into play before you can pick gauges. First, what is the theme of the car? Is it all billet with 22 inch wheels? If so, maybe a long slender slot of digital gauges. Is it an Iron Duke with wire wheels? Rework a stock cluster then. Somewhere in the middle? Last one I did I fitted it with a '40 Ford dash and really liked it. Each time you slide behind the wheel you will have to look at the gauges. Maybe you will buy based on what someone else likes but over time will dislike them more and more because they are not yours. Your call!

#4 · (Edited)
I have really enjoyed my Speedhut gauges. They are all 240 degree sweep. Including the fuel gauge. They also allow you to design your own face. (background pattern, color, number's font, background light color, needle color, and logo.)

Their build your own gauge interactive web site is fun to play with and my gauges have worked perfectly. I believe I paid about 385 dollars for them on sale.

Gauges - Speedhut

John

#5 ·
I am using the Equus gauges in my build as my build is old school like we did back in the day before we could get a digital dash and had to use what we had on hand. they work ok and serve the purpose. I am not one to care a whole lot about what some show judge says but concentrate on what works for me..

Sam

#9 ·
The other thing to consider is getting a speedo that is GPS. I am going to go that route, as it's hard to find just the right combination of sending gears to get a cable drive speedo accurate with modern overdrive auto transmissions. Mine reads 6 mph fast. I also run a cable driven electronic sender for the cruise control and it overburdens the small shaft and plastic driven gear in the trans and has a been a failure issue in the past. I had a heavy duty sender shaft made, but it's only a matter of time...:(

#10 ·
go to summit

or get a catalog and look at the different styles.. they got a ton and u'll see right away the pricing vs pocket book. i used autometer on the bucket and worked just fine. nothing fancy but they did look fine. for the speedo, the GPS is a good option but cost a bit more. but i would not go mechanical for if it's off it's a pain (kinda) to get it right. that said get an electronic speedo. u bolt the sensor to trans and u use a switch to turn on the calibration function. easy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.