Hot Rod Forum banner

Gauges & GPS systems

813 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe. It has an electronic fuel injected LT1 engine and computer from an early 90s Z28, auto trans, and 12 volt electrical system.

The original speedometer doesn't work and the other guages are questionable. I am considering modifying my dash to house new gauges, stereo, etc.

I know I can pick up complete gauge cluster panels from various modern cars on ebay(and I presume my local wrecking yards) for well under $100. Would it be a simple matter of unhooking the leads from my current gauges and hooking them onto the new gauges, or am I out to lunch?

My mechanical abilities are only for the mundane like replacing alternators and such, and I have no experience or understanding of electrical systems.

Oh, yeah, I'd also like to have cruise control and a GPS navigational system. I also see GPS systems from wrecks at pretty good prices. Are they pretty generic, or only good for the cars they came from?

Are we there yet? Can I drive? :cool:
Thanks, Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

The Speedometer, may be a simple repair..simple as much as a wrong or broken cable..you might have it checked/calibrated..

The gauges, I suspect, have the same problem that effect most old mechanical gauges..the tubes are bent or broken..

IF you replace with modern, you will need the PROPER resistance value senders for the GAUGES , or they will not operate OR be grossly in error..

Either way it's up to you..Retro Resto of the panel can get $$$.$$, (like $350 fazools a gauge) as opposed to new replacement clusters..and their senders..

IF you go to an aftermarket set like Dolphin, the bill can get quite high as well.

As far as GPS..I wouldn't even consider one out of a junker..they are cheap enough now anyway, Garmin makes a good one.

CC, again..go NEW , too important to risk on a junkyard pile of parts that you have no instructions for, AND may not get all the parts for..

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.