gear drive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

gear drive

anyone used a gear drive set up instead of standard timing chain set on a 350 chev,any problems that go with this or??? any comments are they good bad any info would be great,,,,,,,,,thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

anyone used a gear drive set up instead of standard timing chain??

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmystur
anyone used a gear drive set up instead of standard timing chain set on a 350 chev,any problems that go with this or??? any comments are they good bad any info would be great,,,,,,,,,thanks
Good question

I'm just chiming in because I'd like to hear oppinions on the subject, and I won't get email on it unless I sucscribe to the thread via a post?

Additional question> Is there a real advantage in the use of a gear drive?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

1. A chain is more efficient at transferring power than gears.
2. Gears generate harmonics that can be transferred to the valvetrain, causing problems. I've never had this happen because I've never run a gear drive, but that's what the engineers say.
3. Gears sound great for about 10 minutes. After that, they are just a pain in the ***.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Got over 9k miles on mine this year and 1500 last year. No problems. I haven't "harmoniced" anything yet. The timing is still right on the mark from the first day this year and rock steady. It doesn't make any noise either, at least not louder than the blower.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
1. A chain is more efficient at transferring power than gears.
2. Gears generate harmonics that can be transferred to the valvetrain, causing problems. I've never had this happen because I've never run a gear drive, but that's what the engineers say.
3. Gears sound great for about 10 minutes. After that, they are just a pain in the ***.

Good answer.. I've has two sets on the shelf for years which were bought with the intention of building matching 406s for my son and I. We could never bring ourselves to install them, with the noise in mind. Hadn't considered the harmonics transfer, but did buy high end true roller sets for the twin motors.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

I can understand "Bent Wings" reply, you won't hear the whine with a big Jimmy spinning. I've also never used a gear outfit.......because years ago an acquaintance put one in his 301 sbc and it was "Cool"......for about a month then it drove him nuts. My opinion, just run a good double roller Cloyes and you'll be good.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
I can understand "Bent Wings" reply, you won't hear the whine with a big Jimmy spinning. I've also never used a gear outfit.......because years ago an acquaintance put one in his 301 sbc and it was "Cool"......for about a month then it drove him nuts. My opinion, just run a good double roller Cloyes and you'll be good.
That's been the general consensus of Adults. Guess that's what Ebay is for. We put a lot of high grade urethane enamel on our engines I hate to take one apart for any reason.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Ive got one on my 327, but it is still on the engine stand. Here is what I have gleened.

First of all, I am a former diesel mechanic. The advantage that gear drives have is that you will NEVER pull your timing cover wondering if the chain skipped a tooth and find a massive amount of slop in the chain. Thats it. I believe that if there is any performance advantage it is one of accuracte and long lived timing. There may also be a case to be made for torsional stress as a chain will pull the cam continually from one side, not so with a gear.

The bottom line for me is one of longevity. That cannot be disputed and is why they are used on million mile diesel motors.

As for the noise, I could see the loud versions becoming extremly obnoxious and would reccomend the quieter version. One little piece of rodder inginuity I adopted for mine from another board is to drill a tiny hole in the oil galley plug behind the gear. That will provide a constant source of oil for the gears and should help with the noise as well. Emphasis on "tiny" here though, I dont recall the drill size that was reccomended, but that was from a guy who has been using gear drive on his race motors for years..

FWIW.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

If you're really interested in increased performance, use a belt. Comp has one that runs in oil under a stock cover.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport
If you're really interested in increased performance, use a belt. Comp has one that runs in oil under a stock cover.
This is the new way!! and definetly a better way than gears.
Only gears I've used have been gear to gear,no idlers,chevy used to make them for boats,kicker is needs rev rot cam n dizzy.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

My car's engine has had a gear drive in it for almost 55 years and it hasn't had any ill effects. The noise isn't an issue either, you don't even hear it over the solid lifters.

Those Studebaker engineers sure knew their stuff..............

Personally I like the sound of a "quiet" gear drive in a modern V-8 but can't say I'd want to have one. I do have one still in the box which is where it's likely to stay.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65smallblock
drill a tiny hole in the oil galley plug behind the gear. That will provide a constant source of oil for the gears and should help with the noise as well. Emphasis on "tiny" here though, I dont recall the drill size that was reccomended, but that was from a guy who has been using gear drive on his race motors for years..
The hole size is 0.035". You can drill it yourself or if you are just now gathering parts for a build and plan to use a gear, you can purchase a drilled galley plug from your local Chevrolet dealer under part number 361997 for around 4 bucks.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

Well I ran a pete jackson gear drive for about a year on my 350 and never had any problems till one day when I was putting some belts on that I had a big slop between the top and bottom and I knew something was wrong.

I tore down all my stuff and man what I saw was not pretty. I had an aluminum timing cover and am running a retrofit roller cam and the cover was clearance for my gear drive. Well when the cover cam off the stupid floater gears kept digging out my timing cover and one side of the gear was almost out.

After that I would never use one again. I went to a full double roller chain that is pre stretched and I just did a cam swap on my other 350 and its a year old and when checking my timing chain it still is as tight as brand new from the box. My opinion is I would never use one again from my experience.

Eric
Old 09-03-2010, 06:35 PM

Pre stretched chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32

After that I would never use one again. I went to a full double roller chain that is pre stretched and I just did a cam swap on my other 350 and its a year old and when checking my timing chain it still is as tight as brand new from the box.
Eric
Hey Eric,
Do you remember the brand and or part number on the timing set you bought? Sounds like good stuff.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

My timing chain set I got is sold under the jegs name brand and its
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/20411...oductId=761240

summit also has one under there name brand as well. I got the billet set just for extra insurance but if your not cranking it hard all the time they have a lesser once for half the cost that has the same steel crank gear and same .250 roller chain but a standard cast iron cam gear but they are really nice sets.

It does not have to be them as cloyes makes good timing chains as well. I would almost bet cloyes makes the timing chains sold under jegs and summit. The one listed above will work on any of the older style flat tappet cams and retrofit roller cams. If you have an oem roller type setup you will have to get one made for that. Good luck on your build.
Eric

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.