GEar DRIVE QUESTION! Werird Noise! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GEar DRIVE QUESTION! Werird Noise!

just got a question,

i installed an edelbrock Accudrive gear drive setup, all properly timed and the motor is currently running right now, only problem is, is that at idle, theres a chattery noise coming from the front of the motor. I checked everything else and im certain its the gear drive. The gear drive was in my other buddies 350 and i never heard this noise before.. I have a Cam button, a brass thrust plate and the gears are perfectly aligned.

A guy from a local parts shop told me that he installed a gear drive once around 3 years ago and it did the same thing, and the guy is still driving it.

The only thing i dont have on the end of the crank gear is the actual Crane Cams Bolt locking plate. The plate where you bend the tabs up in case the bolts come loose, or to prevent them from coming loose. Apparently those help the cam button stay in place and dont let it slip around too much.

I installed this gear drive into a 1987 chev 305. Its got a flat tappet cam (not roller) stock.. truck motor.

ANYONE EVER DEALT WITH THIS PROBLEM BEFORE????

thanks to whoever knows!

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

You didn't happen to get the dog bone backwards did you? aka the idler gears. I beleave the bigger of the 2 gears goes to the RH side which woud be the LH side when you look at it from the front of engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

GOD gear drives.....

My advice? Throw it away and get you a good double roller set.

Gear drives give me a headache. The exhaust should be the loudest noise on a motor.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

What did you set your clearances at? if there is too much space in front of the idler gears then it will rattle off the timing cover like that.

GEAR DRIVES ARE AWESOME. Unless you like your radio more than your engine...then they aren't great.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Last photo:

well the gear drive was used on a 350 before, but he used a stock timing cover with itbefore when he set his clarances.. and now im running it with an aftermarket chrome timing cover.. so maybe thats the problem.. ? how do i fix?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...bigblockch.pdf

Check out these intstructions and follow them precisely, This may not only be making noise but destroying your cam, lifters, distributor gear, and oil pump!!!! Repair this ASAP.

The key is to make sure that you have the stud on the left side as you are facing the motor, then take clay and install the timing cover, just tighten it with four bolts on the corners then remove it and check the thickness of the clay. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2222.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	27953  
Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard Buick
just got a question,

i installed an edelbrock Accudrive gear drive setup, all properly timed and the motor is currently running right now, only problem is, is that at idle, theres a chattery noise coming from the front of the motor. I checked everything else and im certain its the gear drive. The gear drive was in my other buddies 350 and i never heard this noise before.. I have a Cam button, a brass thrust plate and the gears are perfectly aligned.

A guy from a local parts shop told me that he installed a gear drive once around 3 years ago and it did the same thing, and the guy is still driving it.

The only thing i dont have on the end of the crank gear is the actual Crane Cams Bolt locking plate. The plate where you bend the tabs up in case the bolts come loose, or to prevent them from coming loose. Apparently those help the cam button stay in place and dont let it slip around too much.

I installed this gear drive into a 1987 chev 305. Its got a flat tappet cam (not roller) stock.. truck motor.

ANYONE EVER DEALT WITH THIS PROBLEM BEFORE????

thanks to whoever knows!
Gear drives are noisy ranging from quite a bit to an awfully lot. To tell whether your's is noisy from an installation error or simply is noisy would be impossible from here.

Bogie
Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I've never had one make a chattering noise. I have heard one do it though. I am curious what you find. The one I hear stops at the liquor store close by my shop a lot during the summer.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.