Gear Drive...survey - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
About the worst thing you can put in a small block
Here here!!

peace
Hog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

I looooooooooove mine. It's noisy. Family says they can hear it coming before anything else. When driving though, even after a few hours, it doesn't bother me.. At all.. Dont really notice it unless pointed out. Although, driving something without one, I just feel, empty lol Just a natural sound to me now I suppose.. Very snappy throttle response.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

I have my gear drive for over 20 years and never had any valve train failure at all. Have travel from Long Island to Maple Grove Penn. and far north to Mass.
The noise level I hardly hear it while driving once the motor is warmed up. I Love the sound of it.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Last photo:

The floating idler gear drives may not be a good choice if you have a lot of valvespring pressure, as the bigger idler gear is trying to wedge itself between the crank and cam gears. The harder it is to spin your cam, the worse the wedging force will be. The front cam bearing will show a lot of wear up top, in severe cases the cam can actually bend. A bigger idler gear would help, but these things are usually limited by the designer's need to use a stock timing cover.

In my experience with an sbc/solid roller (200 lbs on the seat), the cam didn't bend but severe front cam bearing wear allowed the cam timing to retard quite a bit. Luckily i had plenty of piston to valve clearance. A simple change to a timing chain and the car picked up the several tenths that it had lost. When the geardrive was removed, the idler gear axles/bushings were quite sloppy, had about .100" of clearance.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM

"Noisy" gear drives are for the "Hey! Look at me!" crowd, they are not for performance. The Milodon is a REAL "race" piece. The Pete Jackson (dual idler) is pretty tough. We had 300-plus seat pressure in Dirty Bird and used the Pete Jackson (the Milodon for the Pontiac would take 6 mos. to get). We had exactly zero issues. 9,200 RPM each pass. It wasn't the "added noise" unit, of course. That engine uses "roller" cam bearings as well.

Gear drive has its "place". High-end racers with serious spring loads can benefit. One piece of advice given me a long time ago, NEVER use a gear drive if you have a two-step or "stutter box" for bracket racing. it can break the gears. A belt-drive is the "way to go" there.

FWIW

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. P-Body For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Many years ago I had double roller chain in my 350 and after one year of driving it, the chain was loose. That was only a year of use. That's one reason why I switch to gear drive. I never had any problem ever since. And that same gear drive is in my 406.

Last edited by lg1969; 03-05-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.