Gear oil? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gear oil?

This should be easy for you guys. I have a 1957 Chevy 10bolt rearend. I bought 2 quarts of Royal Purple and 1 quart of Lucas Diff. I'm pretty sure The rearend it's self will hold about 2 quarts. Should I put 1 and 1/2 qrt of royal and 1/2qrt of Lucas or would that be to much. Thanks Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

Why not just remove the fill plug and fill till it's at the bottom of the hole?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

Well I know that but I was wondering how much Lucas diff oil to use. If any at all. I hear Mechanic's swear by it. Literally "Lucas is the ch!t"
Old 03-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Why do you have 2 kinds ?? Is the Lucas an "oil treatment" ?? if it is, then read the bottle and go by their recommendations. If it's just gear oil...just fill her up
Old 03-13-2007, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

You may want to rethink using the Lucus stuff, Check this site http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm That article along with the guy on this board that used the engine oil additive in his Honda and it killed it in something like 30 miles. Personally I would stay away from anything Lucus.

Jordon
Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Why not just the GM lube that millions have used for years and years. I've never had a wear problem using it
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Last photo:

Do not use the Lucas stuff, the Royal Purple gear oil has everything you need already in it.

I advised a neighbor to use a Lucas product and it cost him $1500 to get the damage repaired on his motor home .

Update: I had not seen the link to Bob's website until I read this thread. I had advised my neighbor on a minor power steering leak on his motor home. This system uses a power steering system in conjunction with his brakes. I said there are products that are designed to stop minor leaks and I mentioned Lucas power steering additive. He tried it and few days later had major problems with his power steering and brakes. The additive caused foaming and totally messed the entire system up. It took a complete flush of the power steering and brake system to correct the problem. He called Lucas to inquire about the problem and they acted like it was the first time they had heard of it and were very un-apologetic.

The best advice you can have is use a quality lubrication product and stay away from any whiz bang additives.

Vince

Last edited by 302/Z28; 03-14-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

Well I want to thank everyone for their knowledge on this topic. I also want to thank you for preventing future damage. That was a pretty good sight about the Lucas additives.
So I guess since I already bought the Royal purple I'll just use that and leave out the Lucas gear additive.

The reason I wanted to use Royal Purple is (don't laugh now) I saw Horse Power T.V. where they just switched out the motor oil,gear/diff oil,and Tranny fluid ( I think they did the tranny anyway's) with Royal purple and they got an 8 h.p. gain to the rear wheels. So I figured it can't hurt.

So again thanks for the help guys. I just became a member a few days ago and with in these few days you have definitely made me a loyal member. Thanks Brian
Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

Oh I guess I should say I've always been against the additives. I always thought they were a waste of money. But when Lucas has that little display of the gears and you see the oil climb. I figured that had to work. I guess if I could spin those gears fast enough (like in the rearend of an axle) I could get the same foaming action. Lucas put's that there knowing there is no way a person could spin it that fast.

Like I said I really appreciate the help
Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Let me give you a tip....Don't believe EVERYTHING you see on T.V....or read in a magazine..LOL
Old 03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 chevy
Let me give you a tip....Don't believe EVERYTHING you see on T.V....or read in a magazine..LOL
To refine that statement a little....be very suspicious of anything you see in a magazine or on TV. Also be suspicious of any sports figure (drag or NASCAR) that spouts loudly about how great their sponsors product is.

Vince
Old 03-14-2007, 12:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
To refine that statement a little....be very suspicious of anything you see in a magazine or on TV. Also be suspicious of any sports figure (drag or NASCAR) that spouts loudly about how great their sponsors product is.

Vince
...and Carroll Shelby is the biggest 'prostitute' padding his bank account by a selling to a company to use his name.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

Yeah I kinda know that If someone were paying me big bucks yeah I would say they are the best. (just as long as they aren't the worst) And I've see the horse power increases in several different places........oh yeah but it was on a T.V. and in a magazine

Oh well I didn't buy the Royal Purple to add h.p. but for the reduction of friction. Where there is less friction (other than tires ) the better. Less wear and tear,less heat,more performance capability,etc.etc.

And I think I'm not going to use the Lucas oil. So there is $10.00 down the drain(for the green people not really down the drain......but then again I bet there are'nt any of them on here lol)
Old 03-16-2007, 05:46 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

wow that kinda surprised me! I just re-did my rear and have about 100 miles on it, I filled it up with lucas gear oil 80-90, not aditive, and then the GM friction modifier for the posi, do you all think this is a problem and should I change it out to something else?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:22 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

i used a 1/2 quart of lucas additive in the rear diff. on my 4x4 truck, i havent had no problem with it its an open diff. and seems to work a little better in traction. ive never used it in a motor or automatic tranny though, im kinda afraid to.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.