Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   gear oil in hub/bearing carrier? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/gear-oil-hub-bearing-carrier-226911.html)

327NUT 12-07-2012 02:10 AM

gear oil in hub/bearing carrier?

I'm getting ready to change out the ball joints on my '02 F-250 4x4....pretty common problem with them I understand but the truck has 122K on it.

I was speaking to the owner of the truck place where I bought some of the parts from and he said he also pours 80/140 gear oil down the port on the knuckle where the vacuum line goes. I have manual locking hubs so no vac. line. He said doing this really keeps the bearings cooler and lubed 100% of the time.

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to this idea, sounds like it might work but have any of you guys done or heard of doing this. Seems like Ford would have done it from the factory if it was that good of a deal but then again they want your bearings to wear out....some time.

LATECH 12-07-2012 03:03 PM

Dont do it. Those are a sealed bearing also, no need for gear oil .
Manual hubs do need grease, but dont over do it. The vacuum hubs do have some grease , and if you take them apart and they are dry you can put some grease in them, on the cogs and seal lip surfaces .
On a vacuum hub system, Putting 80/140 in them will not do much except contaminate the vacuum system, probably destroy the vacuum solenoid as the gear oil will eat it , and it will swell the hoses..eventually, and then they will collapse and malfunction as well.
The 2 way manual / auto hubs are just a combination of both designs. I have seen them on F series also. Just sayin. They also use grease...not gear oil.

familyguy 12-07-2012 06:09 PM

Latech is right,only grease in bearings.NO gear oil.

327NUT 12-07-2012 06:52 PM

Thanks for your input.........but I spoke with the Ford dealer tech near me this afternoon and they said some guys do that exact thing. He also said that they sometimes shoot wheel bearing grease down the ABS bracket bolt hole then re-install the bolt. Says thats a better way to lube the bearing than the gear oil ????????? I'll have to check all this out when I have the knuckle apart.

LATECH 12-07-2012 07:07 PM

It is a sealed hub/bearing assembly. Shooting grease in the ABS hole is a waste of time.
I am not very impressed with Most dealerships/dealer mechanics.
If you are reffering to the spindle bearings, or inner spindle bearings, they are best cleaned and greased and re assembled when you do the ball joint teardown.
No substitute for doing it right.
Just shooting grease in the ABS hole wont put grease in the inner spindle bearings,it wont migrate into the well for the torrington style bearing.
Pouring in gear oil will run through the bearing and wash out the grease, into the locking/unlocking hub, then it can leak out from there , making a mess.Tear it down, use good grease, do it right.

LATECH 12-07-2012 07:21 PM

Look around here
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

The needle bearing (torrington style bearing )article is pretty informative