Thanks for the advise. I reassembled the unit with the shim that came with it and the .014 BL that I measured before starting this journey. I took a bright flashlight and peered around inside the posi unit and found some small chips on the spider gears. SO my fears that I got hosed in this transaction are most likely true. I put it in the truck and drove it around a bit; aside from what I think is an e-brake shoe on backing plate squeak it seems ok. But no freeway miles yet.
I am now hoping it stays together long enough to save up for a proper diff build. All I can hope for is it doesn't come apart catastrophically. Hopefully there will not be an eulogy on this one.