Hot Rod Forum banner

Gear Vendors Over/Under

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  packratwrecker 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever used this setup? What are the pros and cons (other than price lol) of this setup? Is the split gearing of 3rd gear eqivalent to the overdrive of a 700r4?

I am interested in learning about these and possibly getting one but Id like to know more about them from people who have used them or are just knowledgeable about them. I have read some of the companies literature however Id like to hear from you all.

Thanks.

Dylan.

#2 ·
as far as I know its a very strong unit, and can handle quite a few ponies. As far as marketing is concerned, it kinda throws me off a little. It doesn't really "underdrive" anything. Its either 1.0 or .7x SO you have 6 forward shifts, essentially with a shift in between the normal shifts. So with a th350 you'd have a normal 2.52 first, then the overdrive first, then second, then over second etc.

I think the system would be cool, but it would be difficult to learn to shift it, and for the price, I think I'd rather just have the shorter first of a 200R4 and the overdrive of that trans.

Otherwise I'd just go manual.

K

#3 ·
the OD ratio is 22% in the GV unit.

We run the GV unit in monster trucks behind powerglides on the longer courses they run for more speed in the straights.

The monster truck guys tell us 1400 - 1600 hp

#4 ·
In stock form they (GV) will handle 1200HP, they can be modified for more. I have been running one for about 3 years, they work very well. There are only two drawbacks; 1) The PRICE, 2) You do not have a lock-up converter if you put it behind a tranny that doesn't use lock-up.

These (GV) are great for high HP cars, where a 700r4 or 200 4R won't hold up. If you have a 400HP car I would go for a 200 4R, you really wouldn't "need" a GV.

Royce

#6 ·
camaroman7d said:
In stock form they (GV) will handle 1200HP, they can be modified for more. I have been running one for about 3 years, they work very well. There are only two drawbacks; 1) The PRICE, 2) You do not have a lock-up converter if you put it behind a tranny that doesn't use lock-up.

These (GV) are great for high HP cars, where a 700r4 or 200 4R won't hold up. If you have a 400HP car I would go for a 200 4R, you really wouldn't "need" a GV.

Royce
Whatever camaroman, you bought that thing just so you could say you have an overdrive reverse gear lol.:p

I think you hit the nail on the head, these units are for solving the durability issue, they really don't provide that much help for the street, I think I could do better with a 200

K

#7 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the info all. Given that I am not running a 1200hp motor (more around 375-390) would I be better to setup a 700r4 or 2004r. Didn't the 700 replace the 200 for GM?

Assuming prices were the same what would you opt for? And as far as a lockup converter goes whom would you recommend. I am running a TPI and the computer and wiring harness have a provision for converter lockup I believe.

#8 ·
killerformula said:
....they really don't provide that much help for the street,....K
In a car, maybe not. They are extrememly useful in pickups, pulling loads.

The only thing I can relate to this, is an old rodder told me he used to split shift his Saginaw/Warn 3-speed O/D. If done right, it really helped the gear spreads.

Todays tranny's are miles ahead of the old 3-speed O/D's, but keeping a heavy car in the power band has got to be worth something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.