Gearbox choice T5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 06:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gearbox choice T5

No doubt there are Ford guys who have their early Mustangs running with 5 speed tremecs. I have a C4 coupled to my 347 in my 67 coupe. It has travelled 1001 miles now since it hit the road and on the highway at 60mph it is turning over at 3000. With the torque this engine has 3.55 gears are wasted so i found a guy who imports american driveline gear, diffs,gearboxes etc. including 1985-1987 Mustang V8 5 speeds. With 5th gear an overdrive somewhere between .6 and .8 it would cut the 3000 RPM back to about 2400 RPM and allow better mileage.
I heard early 5 speeds had some issues but i am not sure about the boxes between 85 and 1987.
Any input welcome.
Cheers
Al.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Now I must say Im not a Ford guy and I have no idea what it takes to put a T5 into an early Mustang; however, from a gearbox standpoint, you want a 'World Class' T5 which has tapered bearings in the unit. These were used in Fords much earlier than GM. Parts for these gearboxes are getting harder to find from the OEM; so if a core presents itself, you may want to grab one.

The T5 is really only good to 300-350lbs of torque so have a conversation with your right foot. If the rear end plants hard, you're probably going to hurt that trans eventually. Shock loads are what kill these
Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

T5

Thanks for your reply. So the good boxes are called "world class ". I am not sure how much torque this 347 puts out never having dynoed the thing, but its heaps. Sounds as if i bought a non-world class box i would be pulling it out sooner rather than later. I will try and track down a web site to find out the difference and when they were made. The c4 at the momont is changing well and has been fitted with a shift kit for snappy shifts , its the high revving on the hwy which is annoying with a 1 to 1 3rd gear.
Thanks for that.
cheers
Al from downunda.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Here's a link for you. A little info. For more info search google images for world class T5 ford. Lots of stuff comes up.
A word to the wise. Slowing your motor down doesn't always equal better mileage.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...3&highlight=t5
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

It pains me greatly to say there...seriously. But an AOD might be a 'better option' depending on how much work you want to do. Its Fords OD Automatic
Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for your input. From rwenuts link i found the following info very useful with the Z spec of the T5 to have the better power handling. Getting the 347 at its most efficient RPM range is educated guess work so i installed an air/fuel sensor and led readout in the exhaust to watch how it is burning the fuel. It varies only slightly from 1500rpm to 3500 running on two of four v's at constant speed.
Sounds like the importer of American trans stuff here is selling World Class T5's as he claims they are 1985-1987. But then again buying a second hand box opens a whole new can of worms. Condition of bearings, synchros, gear teeth etc. etc. More homework required.
Thanks guys
Cheers from downunda
Al.

The more popular world-class units were used in these original vehicles:
Late 1985-96 Mustang/Cougar/Thunderbird
· 1988-96 Camaro and Firebird
· 1993-95 Chevy/GMC S/T series trucks
· 1994-96 Honda Passport
· 1991-97 Isuzu Rodeo
NOTE: 4-cylinder Ford 2.3-liter Turbo units as well as 1993-96 Cobra “Z-Spec” T-5s do not interchange directly, due to difference in the input shaft bearings.

The most important difference between non-world class and the world-class transmissions is the torque rating. Later is better (or the higher the tag number). For example, 1983-89 Mustang units, both world class and non-world class, were rated at 265-lbs.ft. of torque. The 1990-93 versions were rated at 300-lbs.ft., and the 1993-96 Cobra “Z-Spec” T-5 was rated at 330-lbs.ft.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
Now I must say Im not a Ford guy and I have no idea what it takes to put a T5 into an early Mustang; however, from a gearbox standpoint, you want a 'World Class' T5 which has tapered bearings in the unit. These were used in Fords much earlier than GM. Parts for these gearboxes are getting harder to find from the OEM; so if a core presents itself, you may want to grab one.

The T5 is really only good to 300-350lbs of torque so have a conversation with your right foot. If the rear end plants hard, you're probably going to hurt that trans eventually. Shock loads are what kill these
AG,

Not to completely change the subject, but have you got any experience with the G-Force or Astro Gear conversions for the T-5? I'm looking for a small, lightweight gearbox for my Maverick (which is soon to be upgraded to around 600 FWHP) because I really don't want to cut my tunnel all to h$ll. Either of these kits will handle that power, especially in a light car.

Russ
Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

Either one will work. Ive never had either gearset in the shop.
Tony at Astro (the owners son I believe) is on the ball and his customer service is great. We helped him with a Muncie for a real finicky guy overseas. I have customers who deal a LOT with G-force and have all had good things to say.
I'd GUESS the G-Force is a bit more hardcore; go to the UMTR North website; in the trans section theres a guy named Nate (not me) with a Mustang that did a G Force T5 write up and he seems pleased with it.

Id also look at Medatronics (5speeds.com). Paul over there has forgotten more than I'll know about T5s and might have some insight. If you have any questions about what they say, George and I would be happy to translate for you.

I would avoid going to a TKO or a Richmond 5spd for what you're doing.
PM me directly and we can get more indepth

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.