Hot Rod Forum banner

Gearing for a blower?

958 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  camaroman7d 
#1 ·
Hey guys.
With my 6-71 blown Gremlin I think the 4.56 gears may be a bit much. I have a 2 speed glide, slight over stock convertor(2000 rpm) a 2900lb car, 31X18.5 rear tires.
I want some low end, but want to be able to cruise without burning up the engine. My cam is 2200-5700 rpm's to.
Any ideas on my gearing I should choose? HG

#2 ·
HemmiGremmie said:
Hey guys.
With my 6-71 blown Gremlin I think the 4.56 gears may be a bit much. I have a 2 speed glide, slight over stock convertor(2000 rpm) a 2900lb car, 31X18.5 rear tires.
I want some low end, but want to be able to cruise without burning up the engine. My cam is 2200-5700 rpm's to.
Any ideas on my gearing I should choose? HG
Although most will suggest something in the 3.7-1 ratio; I'd go with around 3.5-1 with the Powerglide. Should still take off from a stop very well and cruising RPM won't be so bad.

#3 · (Edited)
Blown engines do not need a lot of gear. With a roots blower you will have more torque and bottom end than you can imagine. Steep gears will only hinder traction and burn more gas. Depending on how tall a tire you are running. With a car that light and a stall that tight I would probably go with something in the 3.42 range (even with a glide). I hope that powerglide is built to handle abuse, because it is going to see some serious torque.

I ran 4.11's with a 26" tall tire and over drive. That was too much gear for that short of a tire with a blower. My current car has 28" tall tires and I went with 4.11's again with OD. I hope that's not mistake, I probably should have gone with 3.7*'s.

Royce

Edit: Ooops I just saw you are running 31" tall tires. You may be able to get away with 3.90's. It really depends on your goals for the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.