"Gee, mister. Is that a Hemi?" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 09:14 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

"Gee, mister. Is that a Hemi?"

So today, I walked over to the shop of a guy who said he would help me pick out a good motor for my T Bucket. As soon as I step into the garage, I'm greeted by a '70 Hemi 'Cuda! My jaw dropped to the floor! He says the owner has let it sit for 6 years and she needs a tune up and some other little things to get her on the road.

Get this, one owner, original paint and interior, 102,289 miles. She has a couple minor scratches, but is otherwise in awesome shape. He started her up and it was as if the Gods of Horsepower were speaking.

In the interior shot, notice the little red knob under the dash. It reads, "carb air". Push that and it allows air to rush in through vents in the Shaker scoop. I couldn't help myself and struck a pose next to her. He had the Shaker Scoop off to expose the dual gas gulpers. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hemi_cuda0001.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	21963   Click image for larger version

Name:	hemi_cuda0005.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	21964   Click image for larger version

Name:	hemi_cuda0006.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	21965   Click image for larger version

Name:	hemi_cuda0002.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	21966   Click image for larger version

Name:	hemi_cuda0003.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	21967  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

Just sitting.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hemi_cuda0007.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	21968  
Old 06-15-2007, 10:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Hmmmmmm....... That thing is worth about a dollar for every mile it has on its odometer!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:40 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Wow, sweet car. I would have thought it would have disc brakes on the front, even for 1970.

I was flipping through an Old Car Trader today and there were several Hemi cars listed for well over $100,000 along with a few Shelbys, Boss Mustangs and a ZL1 Camaro. A Boss 429 was listed for $309,000. The ZL1 didn't have the price listed.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:44 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thats really in great shape for 102 k wow!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

Guys, I sat in that car and even though it wasn't running, it freaking FELT fast! I imagined what it must have been like to be on an open stretch of road and pull that little red knob! And the shifter! I have GOT to get a pistol grip for the shifter knob in my bucket!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hemi_cuda0004.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	21972  
Old 06-16-2007, 04:54 AM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

I predict it will take at least 5 to 6 months for the CHESIRE CAT GRIN to begin leaving your face!!!!!

Man that is one sweet find. Make sure the guy calls you to come watch when they fire it up. If you do not have a video camera, rent one and tape it. It will be an historical moment for sure.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryblack
I predict it will take at least 5 to 6 months for the CHESIRE CAT GRIN to begin leaving your face!!!!!

Man that is one sweet find. Make sure the guy calls you to come watch when they fire it up. If you do not have a video camera, rent one and tape it. It will be an historical moment for sure.
Hey, Larry, good to see you drop in. Yea, I plan on dropping in the next few days and seeing how she goes. He said I'm welcome to check it out anytime and I plan on breaking down for one of those disposable video cams. It's a treat to see good ole factory craziness without the car being roped off. If you're in the Houston area and want to see her, give me a call. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. He's a real mellow guy and his house is built into part of his shop. He stays there with his Smith and Wesson's, so he's not really stressing security. LOL It's almost a shame that the value of these cars has gotten so high that the owners don't want to take them out on a regular basis. With the way gas is going up, one day all cars may get to that point.

It has a repop set of Goodyear polyglass tires ( I guess they are repops) and one of the things he is doing is a brake job all around. As someone stated earlier, I too was surprised to see drums all around. Go figure. The paint job is not as shiny as it looks, but he plans on seeing if it will buff out a bit. The owner wants it to stay original as much as possible. I noticed the Optima battery, but was quickly shown the original battery! It no longer charges, but the guy still has it. It seems that even though it basically sat for the last 6 years, it was cranked up a few times and probably driven a little bit. He told me of the typical things that need to be checked out. Hoses and such are being gone through.

As crazy as this will sound, our landlord of the building I work out of has a hopped up Hemi Belvedere. I think it's a mid '60s. I have only seen it once and that was two years ago. I guess he doesn't take it out much, but that's understandable. The time I did see it, he cranked it up and smoked the tires for about 20'!

I also noticed a decal in the windshield for the Houston Hemi Association. I may check to see if they have an event coming up. Could be a nice photo op.

Last edited by tfeverfred; 06-16-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:53 AM

I was at Englishtown last year, in drives a black on black convertable Hemi Cuda. A local car, one of 9 built. The last Hemi Cuda convertable to sell at Barret Jackson went to Japan for $5,000,000. Couldn't believe that dude drove it on the street! In 1970 I rode in a Yellow Hemi Cuda with white convertable top like the Nash Bridges car which is a clone.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.