Gen 1 small block roller conversion with GM rollers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gen 1 small block roller conversion with GM rollers

I have a 1980 350 4 bolt block (gonna be a 383) that I want to convert to a roller cam. I have the 8060 vortec heads and plan to use self align roller rockers 1.5 ratio. I have found that the factory GM 4.3 v6 roller lifters fit the lifter bores, however I can't find anyone to ask if this will work? The oil feed hole on the lifter side is higher on the roller lifter but there is a feed channel that is around the mid section and looks like it would supply the oil to it! I can buy everything I need with a ZZ4 roller cam for about $175.00 new! But, I can't find anyone that has done this to ask if it will work.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro freak
I have a 1980 350 4 bolt block (gonna be a 383) that I want to convert to a roller cam. I have the 8060 vortec heads and plan to use self align roller rockers 1.5 ratio. I have found that the factory GM 4.3 v6 roller lifters fit the lifter bores, however I can't find anyone to ask if this will work? The oil feed hole on the lifter side is higher on the roller lifter but there is a feed channel that is around the mid section and looks like it would supply the oil to it! I can buy everything I need with a ZZ4 roller cam for about $175.00 new! But, I can't find anyone that has done this to ask if it will work.
No this doesn't work. Factory roller blocks raise the lifter boss nearly half an inch, without this the long rollers loose support and bind in their bores. Plus the way factory hydraulic rollers are kept straight on the cam is by a broached double loop device that ties pairs of lifters together. These are held in position by a sheetmetal guide that is bolted to 3 towers cast onto the main oil galley boss. Non roller blocks do not have these bosses, therefore there is no easy way to mount the spider.

There are ways to do this but unless you're a machinest with access to the proper tools and have the know how the cost of having a professional do the modifications to a standard block far outweigh the expense of just buying a roller block.

You can run a ZZ4 cam with aftermarket lifters, but they are expensive. The ZZ4 cam would have to be installed using a roller block thrustplate with the ears machined off and a roller cam timing set. Thrust would have to be accomplished with a thrust button as is done for aftermarket roller cams.

Not really practical, but at 175 bucks for the set up, I'd recommend buying it and putting on the shelf till I figured out what, if anything, I want to do with it. After all the wrecking yards are full of 96 and up Vortec 350 blocks which are built around roller cams and will accept all your 383's parts.

Bogie
Old 07-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
Not really practical, but at 175 bucks for the set up, I'd recommend buying it and putting on the shelf till I figured out what, if anything, I want to do with it. After all the wrecking yards are full of 96 and up Vortec 350 blocks which are built around roller cams and will accept all your 383's parts.
Most 1986 and up 1 Pc. rear main seal 350's are also roller cam compatible. TBI trucks got a flat tappet hydraulic cam but the blocks have the taller lifter bores and retainer standoffs for the factory roller cam. Grab the ZZ4 cam setup and then get the correct block to go with it, it will be easier and cheaper in the long run and you'll love the 1 Pc. rear seal.

Another option is to use the Comp Cams XS262S-10 solid lifter cam instead. In DD2000 it makes just a tad more TQ and HP than the ZZ4 with an almost identical TQ curve.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.