gen V high performance heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

gen V high performance heads

I need help finding some good high performance heads for a gen V 454. I plan on building a 10:1 motor and remain running premium fuel. My current setup is a scat 9000 series nodular crank with the stock dimple cheverolet rods. 1.7 roller rockers, custom grind solid flat tappet cam rpm air gap manifold with the 850 mighty demon carb. What do you have for me as far as heads go and how much horsepower do you think i will be making with this combo.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

You need to post some detailed specs for any figures like that. What heads are you looking at? You have lots of options depending on what TQ/HP level you seek as well as RPM etc. JMO
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 PM

I plan on shifting at 5,800rpm and im having a hard time finding a steel head to fit a gen V block and I'm asking you all from what im telling you i have what would be the best head for my application? Im not going to get the cam cut until I have a head. I would like to make 550hp and somewhere around 600tq
Old 04-11-2008, 07:14 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Well,

There are many Aftermarket Heads out there to choose from-if you are looking for Cast Iron, why not look at the Oval Port Merlins? Look here:

http://www.theengineshop.com/prods_pages/030040.htm

As for GM, there really aren't a lot of choices for the Gen V (mostly peanut port), although it is a great foundation for horsepower. I am building a 496 out a Gen VI and am using the Edelbrock RPM's (also good), and the GM's and AFR's are also good aluminum Heads.

As for Horsepower, I would say if you went with some good Aluminum Heads (you are at the ragged edge for Cast Iron with your compression), a Cam like the Comp 290 HR (or 304 HR) you would be getting close to the numbers you are hoping for-
Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM

thanks man for the info. Being that you say that ill be cutting it close with the iron heads im going to look into getting some aluminum heads.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.