Gen VI Timing Cover/Double Roller Chain - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Gen VI Timing Cover/Double Roller Chain

I am currently building a 489 and I am using a brand new GMPP Gen 6 block. After going through 2 old Mark IV blocks that showed cracks when they were magged, I got tired of wasting my time.

Has anyone used a double roller timing chain in a Gen 6 and if you did...what timing cover did you use? The only one I have found is at Flatlander Racing and they claim theirs is the only one that will clear a double roller. I am going to list a few questions I really need help getting answered.

1. - Will a Mark VI double roller timing set work/fit in a Gen 6 block?

2. - What timing cover is there other than the Flatlander one?

3. - Is a long style water pump required or will a short style fit?

4. - Is the factory center to center (crank to cam) distance the same on all big blocks? (I am getting it align bored so I know it will change by a few thou)

5. - Is there any issues/things to watch for when choosing a hydraulic roller camshaft?

If anyone can help me with any or all of these questions that would be great.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraneking
I am currently building a 489 and I am using a brand new GMPP Gen 6 block. After going through 2 old Mark IV blocks that showed cracks when they were magged, I got tired of wasting my time.

Has anyone used a double roller timing chain in a Gen 6 and if you did...what timing cover did you use? The only one I have found is at Flatlander Racing and they claim theirs is the only one that will clear a double roller. I am going to list a few questions I really need help getting answered.

1. - Will a Mark VI double roller timing set work/fit in a Gen 6 block? {Do you mean Mk IV DR timing set in a Gen 6 block? If so, you need to match the gear to the cam. There are DR timing sets for the Gen 6 w/ Gen 6 cam.}
2. - What timing cover is there other than the Flatlander one? {Milodon and IMCO.}

3. - Is a long style water pump required or will a short style fit?

4. - Is the factory center to center (crank to cam) distance the same on all big blocks? (I am getting it align bored so I know it will change by a few thou) {They are the same.}

5. - Is there any issues/things to watch for when choosing a hydraulic roller camshaft? {Use the lifters specific to the Gen 6.}

If anyone can help me with any or all of these questions that would be great.
The little bit I know is contained in the quote above.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

Mark IV timing set won't work on later style roller camshaft. These have a thrust plate on block. Smaller diameter/bolt pattern. on the front end of cam. The correct double roller setup is available in aftermkt.

GM covers for gen 6, are the steel stamping (somewhat rare, has a big tab hanging down). Plastic and aluminum. I doubt if a short pump would clear the latter styles. I've always used long style and aftermkt electric pumps.

Production blocks are same center to center. Timing sets are available .005-.010" short. For align bores/hones.

Just keep the front components compatible. You can use early components with cam button and--- Retro (linked)hydraulic rollers. DON"T BUY THE CHEAP ONES!!! They are terrible quality.. Watch pushrod length..
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Milodon makes a Timing Cover:

http://www.milodon.com/timing-covers/timing-covers.asp
Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 AM

Well that gives me a better idea of what I need to do.

I am planning on a Comp XR264HR or XR270HR camshaft. Are Comp lifters a good choice or should I consider looking at another brand?

My heads are 781's with mild bowl work, larger 2.19 valves, new seats, Manley 11/32 valves and all Comp hardware. This engine will not be going past 5500 rpm and I am trying to make the most low-end torque that I can.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 AM

Last photo:

gen vi timing

I am currently building a 489 also - I am using a gen vi cam - hydraulic roller - billet - in a Mark iv block - the opposite of you - I am using a rollmaster double roller gen vi timing chain with torrington bearing - a cloyes two pieice timing cover - the one for hex-a- just - just for the adjustable cam button option and a comp cams plastic distributor gear - as it is billet - this is the opposite of what you are doing - but I thought I would throw it out there
Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 PM

timing cover

competition products sells a cover for gen 6 i have a 540 and
it's the same one nice allum..like 45.00

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.