Gen6 Vortec 454 Need help before its gone!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gen6 Vortec 454 Need help before its gone!!

Hey fellas. I need some info real quick. Ive done a lot of searching and cant find answers im lookin for. This engine is for sale local and it wont last long so if its gonna work ill go snag it pronto.

I have an 87 caprice with a 355 sbc and just the other day I bought my first big block, a 1981 454 out of a truck. I was going to take it apart and rebuild it and stumbled upon a Gen6 454 for $500 obo. Its all apart but all the parts are there. My question is which one would be the best option to put in my caprice equipped with a t56 6speed? Right now the 355 in my caprice is a 1 pc rear seal factory roller motor. I would need a different flywheel with the older 454 since its a 2 pc rear seal but would I need a different flywheel with the newer 1 pc rear seal 454? Are the motor mounts in the same location on the older and newer block or am I going to run into mounting issues and have to move the transmission etc..etc? Can I ditch the fuel injection and run a carb on the newer 454? Will I be able to use an hei distributor with this engine? I know it doesnt have provisions for a mech fuel pump and thats not too big an issue. Do they make aftermarket intakes to use with these vortec heads that accomodate carbs? Should I use the vortec heads or my set of 781's with some work done to em? Can i find headers for these or am i limited to the factory exhaust manifolds?

Is there anything im missing or not thinking of?

If this isnt going to work or be a big hassle over using the older one ill just forget it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 973kgt
stumbled upon a Gen6 454 for $500 obo. Its all apart but all the parts are there.
Be sure there's no cracked castings or bad crank journals, overheated caps/mains in the block, etc. that you'll have to deal with. $500 is fairly cheap- caveat emptor and all that.

Quote:
My question is which one would be the best option to put in my caprice equipped with a t56 6speed?
Either could be a fine engine. If the Mk. IV engine is complete w/decent heads (your 781's qualify) I'd just as soon use the Mk. IV engine, myself. The Gen 6 will be hydraulic roller ready, though- and that's something to consider w/the current state of affairs w/crappy oil formulations for flat tappet cams.

Quote:
Right now the 355 in my caprice is a 1 pc rear seal factory roller motor. I would need a different flywheel with the older 454 since its a 2 pc rear seal but would I need a different flywheel with the newer 1 pc rear seal 454?
ANY externally balanced 454 will require a different flywheel than what you now have- they're (OEM) externally balanced, and have a different counterweight than a 400 or 1-piece RMS SBC.

Quote:
Are the motor mounts in the same location on the older and newer block
Yes.

Quote:
Can I ditch the fuel injection and run a carb on the newer 454?
Yes.

Quote:
Will I be able to use an hei distributor with this engine?
Yes.

Quote:
I know it doesnt have provisions for a mech fuel pump and thats not too big an issue.
Some do, some don't.

Quote:
Do they make aftermarket intakes to use with these vortec heads that accomodate carbs?
Yes.

Quote:
Should I use the vortec heads or my set of 781's with some work done to em?
If you use the Vortec's you will need to convert them to an adjustable valve train.

Quote:
Can i find headers for these or am i limited to the factory exhaust manifolds?
Headers fit fine.

Probably the biggest advantage to the Gen 6 is the roller cam/lifters. And then the 1-piece RMS.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

So Basically I'll have to buy a new flywheel anyway the newer one wont save me any bucks there. 1 pc or 2pc doesnt matter a whole lot to me in that case. Obviously i would prefer 1pc but its not a biggie. So really the only real benefit is the stock hyd roller setup which is why I thought about this engine in the first place. I'd have to buy an electric fuel pump with the new one where I wont with the older one. It might be better to stick with what ive got then. Do you fellas see any problem with running a solid flat tappet cam in the mark iv 454 if I choose my oil carefully and/or run a zddp additive? If im going to use the older 454 I would like to spare myself the expense and added valvetrain weight of a retrofit hyd roller setup unless it will just be the absolute best choice for a daily driver.

Looks like if I can use a mech flat tappet cam the mark iv 454 would be more of a budget swap. Are the vortec heads of the mark vi better than my 718s? should I put them on my older block?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

Your 781's are a better bet for horsepower. The big block Vortecs are for truck/torque use. Also when using a Gen VI, the flywheel/flexplate/balancer is balanced differently than the earlier big block. Earlier flywheels will bolt up, but you will have a mysterious vibration.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.