Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - General 302 Engine Reassembly
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw550 View Post
I pulled my 302 to fix a leaking freeze plug. Along the way I decided to paint the block. I also pulled the pan (to use another one I have). During the process I removed a main bearing cap. A little more wear than I would like so I decided to replace them while I am in there.

I dont consider this a rebuild. Just a repair that snowballed a little.
The engine ran fine and the compression was good.

I was to going start putting it back together tomorrow. I have a few questions.
1) Can I use a sealant on the freeze plug? They used a rubber plug and as a result the hole is a little corroded. I will clean it up but I would like to seal it.
Sure. Use some inexpensive Permatex #2 in the tube after cleaning the hole real good.

Quote:
2) I was planning to replace all of them because I assumed they were steel. I found they are brass. Do they still need to be replaced?
I would say no. It sounds like the po might have lost or damaged one of the plugs from the set he was installing, so the rubber temporary plug was used.

Quote:
3) It has two piece rear main seal that I replaced last year. If I remove the cap will I need to replace the seal or will it be okay? I am having trouble locating one.
Too bad you removed the rear cap. It should be OK to reuse if you replaced it just a year ago. Make sure to lube the lip if you do replace it. If it's still as pliable as a new one, I'd reuse it.

Quote:
4) I sprayed some brake cleaner, simple green and engine degreaser on the block before I decided to not tear it down completely. Will that effect the head gaskets and intake seal?
No. It would take soaking the joints between the castings for a LONG time to degrade their ability to seal.