Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - General 302 Engine Reassembly
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw550 View Post
I appreciate all the information. Last night I found one of the main bearing caps was cracked in half. I am going to call the guy I use for machine work but I think the engine is done.

However I do have a follow-up question. Does the stamp on the side of the main cap match the piston number? I know I had a couple of cylinders that repeated.
I think you mean rod cap. If you have repeated numbers, this is probably an engine that's been assembled by a bulk rebuilder, like those who supply the parts stores, etc. They pull parts from bins, paying no attention to the numbers because the rods didn't originally go to that engine anyway.

As long as the rods and pistons are oriented correctly and the rod side clearances are within spec, the numbers don't really matter anyway.

Bummer about the main cap. This will mean at least a main hone if not a bore/hone to get a mismatched cap to spec correctly in your engine.