General Lee Paint job for 100 dollar 83 Subaru I bought - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

General Lee Paint job for 100 dollar 83 Subaru I bought

I have access to a paint booth.
My plan in general is to :
Pressure wash
Mask
Tack
Spray
Buff with compound
Done
What I am unsure about is two things. In what order, and how should I mask off for the flag, General Lee, and 01? The second thing is what kind of paint should I use?
Being that it is a 100 dollar car, the worst car I've ever owned or ridden in, I wanted to spend about a hundred bucks on painting it. However it seems that oil based enamel (rustoleum), while meeting the cheap requirement does not dry in a day. The DuPont polyurethane with accelerator and hardener we use at my work for repainting semi trucks and trailers drys to the touch in about an hour. However, I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on painting a car that not only do I want to jump to death next year is also rusted through in several areas. So what should I paint my 83 Subaru with?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

I believe Valspar makes a farm implement enamel that can be bought with hardner...its cheap but Im not sure how quick it dries. Enamels like rustoleum can be thinned with Acetone instead of mineral spirits and they will dry much quicker... hope this helps you

Oh, instead of the 180, I would use 320
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Heres a link about a guy who used the Valspar... I'd definitely try it out on a beater...

The ULTIMATE budget paint job (pic heavy) - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

I use rustoleum paints a lot on signs. Laquer works better to thin, but takes a while, usually at least overnight. If I need one done fast, cut it with acetone. Makes it fast, usually dries to touch in and hour or so.

Also, Tractor Supply now carries the Majik line of tractor and implement paints. sell paint, reducer, and hardener. you could get an allis chalmers orange that would be close to the color of the general, it lays down quick and easy, is pretty durable, and with the hardener, helps add gloss. They even sell a rattle can of touch up. Painted lots of stuff around the shop and farm with it, mostly low gloss black. Been pleased so far.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Chorris View Post
I have access to a paint booth.
My plan in general is to :
Pressure wash
Mask
Tack
Spray
Buff with compound
Done
What I am unsure about is two things. In what order, and how should I mask off for the flag, General Lee, and 01? The second thing is what kind of paint should I use?
Being that it is a 100 dollar car, the worst car I've ever owned or ridden in, I wanted to spend about a hundred bucks on painting it. However it seems that oil based enamel (rustoleum), while meeting the cheap requirement does not dry in a day. The DuPont polyurethane with accelerator and hardener we use at my work for repainting semi trucks and trailers drys to the touch in about an hour. However, I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on painting a car that not only do I want to jump to death next year is also rusted through in several areas. So what should I paint my 83 Subaru with?
You want to 1500 the car and buff????and "want to jump to death next year is also rusted through in several areas"????Why bother, your going to spend almost as much on 1500 paper and compound as you are on paint????I don't get the logic!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie jon View Post
I use rustoleum paints a lot on signs. Laquer works better to thin, but takes a while, usually at least overnight. If I need one done fast, cut it with acetone. Makes it fast, usually dries to touch in and hour or so.

Also, Tractor Supply now carries the Majik line of tractor and implement paints. sell paint, reducer, and hardener. you could get an allis chalmers orange that would be close to the color of the general, it lays down quick and easy, is pretty durable, and with the hardener, helps add gloss. They even sell a rattle can of touch up. Painted lots of stuff around the shop and farm with it, mostly low gloss black. Been pleased so far.
saw that last night at TS. $30 a gallon and $15 for the hardener... definitely an option for a beater/work truck/farm truck type thing
Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

home depot has latex paint for cheap
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I don't think latex will do very well. The price difference between a cheap automotive SS Acrylic and a gallon of tractor enamel is about $0 but the shipping on that $30-40 gallon of auto paint will tack on another $20-30..

$35 for a gallon of Valspar tractor enamel and $15 for a bottle of hardener. Add in some mineral spirits or even their branded reducer ( both will work ) for well under $100 and it will dry in a day and stay nice for 6-12 months. likely look 'decent' thru the duration of the $100 Subaru's lifespan.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Why does everyone talk about shipping when pricing anything these days?...Is it too much trouble to get off ones arse and go to an auto parts store, tractor supply or whatever? I live in the middle of nowhere and an auto parts store and tractor store are about 10 minutes away

Budget RVs
Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Why does everyone talk about shipping when pricing anything these days?...Is it too much trouble to get off ones arse and go to an auto parts store, tractor supply or whatever? I live in the middle of nowhere and an auto parts store and tractor store are about 10 minutes away
I have better luck with big rig fleet parts stores. for cheap paint..
don't know what the difference (if any) over the tractor paint.
I do know the local bodyshop/autoparts jobber.. doesn't sell cheap paint..
a pint of 77vette yellow.. so I could accent my rally wheels to body color..
in a single stage was 70.oo then add reducer and activator...
that was nasan brand (dupont cheap line)

but eastwood/summit sell mighty cheap "hotrod" paint.. tho..
shipping adds to it.. it's still cheaper.. than what the local jobber lines cost..
the limits I've come across is color choice in the big rig paint thats mostly for the frame/dump/etc than the cab..
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Summit shipping is dirt cheap on paint and supplies... I ordered $300 worth the other day... shipping was 12 bucks... Maybe some people dont have the time and money to run all over town, burning gas, to hunt down supplies... doesnt mean they are lazy couch potatoes.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
When you drive to the store to get it does it not cost anything then? Is there something I've been doing wrong my entire life?!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
When you drive to the store to get it does it not cost anything then? Is there something I've been doing wrong my entire life?!
Point was that when you go to whatever store it is, the part is there...no shipping cost.....and the price is generally the same as you would order online, without the extra shipping cost......And, yes, I think people are just generally lazy today.....I can see ordering online if you cant get it anywhere else, but that seldom is the case

Budget RVs
Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Well there was only one person in the thread who had mentioned shipping, which is not 'everyone.' I think you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Back to the subject at hand, TSC no longer carries that Valspar paint, just the Majik paint or whatever the hell it is, and I've been told it's a step down.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post

na.. autosurply stores have delivery trucks for a reason..
time= money...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.