General Questions on engines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2004, 05:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

General Questions on engines

I'm in the process of replacing my 350 in my 93 chevy fullsize truck with another 350. My first idea was putting a factory 5.7 block bored .30 over, a set of Dart heads, and a cam with .490 lift on it and leave the stock TBI and be done with it. Then I was looking at my jegs magazine and got an idea. The motor that I was planning to put in there was gonna cost me around $2,500 which was no problem, I saw the "Base" 350 H.O. GM performance crate motor with vortec heads and a mild cam in it which would push around 330 hp. The only dif is that I would have to get a vortec intake manifold that would fit the TBI. All of this coming off at about $2,500 also. They told me that would be the only thing i would have to do. So, my question is, which would be smarter and better for a daily driver? I know both of them would be around 9:1 compression which is no big deal. I also want to know what the factory horsepower is rated on the stock factory 350 TBI motor. Anybody with any info on this please help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

IMO, get the crate motor if that is what you are looking for. Building and engine yourself always seems to run more$$$$ than what you anticipate.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

Even the mild flat-tappet cam in the HO 350 will confuse your TBI computer. The TBI cam has over 30* less duration & much less overlap than the HO cam. I'd look into upgrading to a roller cam like the passenger cars & later trucks use. More power, better gas mileage, & less confusion for the computer. The 2bbl TBI probably won't flow enough air to take advantage of the heads & cam anyway, although it may be possible to adapt a larger 454 throttle body. If the computer can be reprogrammed for the changes, it might work out OK.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

There is a good write up on that motor here;//www.carcraft.com/projectbuild/116_0403/mail/. If it doesent come up do an Inet search under Car Craft Protect Humble Pie. Interesing results, they got from 347 HP/388 torque out of the box with the Deluxe version of this motor,377 HP /415 torque w/bigger carb, Air Gap intake & hedders, to 401 HP/ 428 torque w/GM Hot roller cam.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

It is cheaper to build your own engine than to buy a crate. Then you get exactly what you want in it. You just have to do your homework so you know enough about what you are doing.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

ALways remember that with a crate motor htere is a warranty. Read the fine print first,I have seen where it MUST have been a factory avalible engine for the year and make vehicle. I do not know if you have to have a GM Authorized shop put it in for the warranty either. Anyone else know just for general knowledge,enlighten us.If you are doing lie lluciano stated make sure you do your math and stick to it. I do not know a whole lot of people who make a build sheet and stay by it 100%, I eneded up with almost 1200 MORE in my engine by the time it was done than what I started with and that price did not include new motor mounts,fluids,lines etc. Just the engine and components itself. Have fun at whatever you chose though,that is what makes it worth the price of admission.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

330 HP 350 Crtae engine.....*whincing in pain*

That is not the best choice....we've had lots of experience with those engines and we've never been able to get them close to GM's claims of 330 HP.

We have a kit that we developed from our experience...Racer Brown grinds us up a special cam that figured out to work with the head and compression numbers, we then recurve the distributo and bolt on a 650 Speed Demon. The last one we for a 68 Nova went from 270 at the crank to 380

The guy was slightly more than pleased after he changed his pants
Old 03-06-2005, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

The throttle body is a big restriction also stock exhaust doesnt flow too good either.
Im not 100% sure but I think those engines were only rated at 190hp.
Putting an engine with great flowing heads will require some more modifications to truck to get the full hp from engine.

Things to be aware of are:
The intake bolt hole angle are the Dart heads the same as stock GM heads?
Vortec heads dont have exhaust heat crossover provision so if you want to retain the EGR you need a vortec left side exhaust manifold with hole for EGR pipe then fabricate a pipe.

Couple other heads you might consider too.
http://www.protopline.com/2237694217.asp

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7959686337&catego ry=33617
Old 03-06-2005, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

I thought that Topline dumped that head program?

If those are the ones made in New Z-Land they got out of that deal.

Quote from Topline:

"We had quality issues that they couldn't seem to resolve"
Old 03-06-2005, 05:06 PM

I dont think I'd buy a crate motor even if it were half the price. These crate motors everyone is buying nowdays are killing your local machine and engine shops. In addition, you are sending your hard earned bucks right out of the local economy. Have you guys noticed how many of the 50 - 70 year old machine shops are closing down lately? If we keep at it, we won't have these guys around when we need a valve job or an align hone.

Personally, I buy all parts through my machinist because he can get em cheaper then I can and then he can add a percentage to get the price up to what I woulda paid at Jegs. This puts a couple of bucks in his till so he can pay a teardown kid a few bucks an hour to learn a trade. This same kid is no longer standing on street corner lookin for trouble. Instead he's thinkin about buildin a motor to race someday like we did back in the day. Those local Journeymen Machinists have families to feed also.

There is a hidden cost to all those crate motors that most people dont recognize sometimes and its a very high cost. And besides, your local machine shop can get those crate motors for you also if you just ask. And for more HP, just ask the local engine builder
Old 03-07-2005, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

Yup....support your local independant machine shop, speed shop and Americam Manufacturers..... you might need them someday.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.