Generator - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Generator

Hi guys,

I just moved to Florida and want to purchase a Generator. What do you guys suggest?

What do you think aout this one from Northern Tools? Thanks

Powerhorse Portable Generator with Electric Start 9000 Surge Watts, 7250 Rated Watts | 7,000 - 9,999 Watts| Northern Tool + Equipment

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I suggest a very quiet one. Would u buy a used one ?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I had a 'regular' 6500W generator - and the I/C Briggs & Stratton engine, while 100% reliable was LOUD and sucked gas like it was free. I sold it and replaced it with a 3600W inverter type. Much quieter, much less gas use as it only runs at rated speed if the load is there. You neighbors might even thank you. The best rated are Honda and Yamaha but by far the most expensive - which means that my $950 Boliy was a good deal for me. Oh - and the Hondas can be linked together
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Look into Generac Quite Pac generators . They are RV generators and I've been using them for years for different things. In the last 15 years I've never had a problem. I find them reliable and quite. Do some shopping on line and they are pretty reasonable. I've never had to pay shipping on any of them and they relieved by truck. A quick check and I see they make a 75kw unit now. I'd be willing to bet you'll be able to beat Northern Tools prices. Always thought they were over priced.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Once upon a time I used to teach emergency preparedness courses

I am assuming your concern is "when the power goes out after a hurricane"

In that case the question you want to ask is "How SMALL a generator can I use?"

The bigger the gen, the more gas it sucks. The corner gas station is not gonna be pumping gas any time soon, so the gas you have on hand is whatcha got.

Which is better - one that can keep your food from spoiling for 5 days on that amount of gas, or one that will run the whole house including the air cond for 3 hours?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all of the great information guys does anyone have any suggestions on a good generator? Thanks

Dave
Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

i believe the ?? is...

just what do u want to run with it ???? i live in the country so noise is not a problem.. i got the elect start 7500w from harbor fright. used it last wkend after the storm for 12 yrs.. ran whole house except the air.
2 fridg's, well pump, lighting, etc.. didn't need the air on but it was getting very close..
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I have 2 gens.

a 3500w that I use in my trailer for most everything. It will even run the A/C but not much else.

I have a 12kw Powermate that will run anything. Mostly it is used to drive my TIG welder when I'm out away from plug in power. I have loaned it out to several friends ( who each made it worth while) to run their homes during power outs.

Both of thes make noise. I surely would not to run the 12k one in a campground even though it has idle down feature. The 3500 is not too bad if it has something over it like a large cardboard box with intake and ex openings.

The 3500 is pretty easy on gas especially if only driving lights.
The 12kw ......well it uses gas proportionately to it's output. About 1 1/2 gal per hour sometimes more when I'm welding.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I have a Generac 8K and it works great. Starts easy and has a good size fuel tank. Its not real loud but it can get annoying.
I also have a small 2500 Craftsman but the gas tank is so small it is a pain to keep running.

The inverter type are very quiet but don't handle long term heavy loads, especially resistive loads, well from what I have read.
Several friends have the Harbor Freight units and they seem ok. Not the same quality as the Generac or other big names but they are also priced considerably less.

They key is to be sure to maintain it. I start mine once a month and let it run for 15 minutes with a small load then I let it run out of gas. This keeps the carb free of gum and crap. I do this with all my gasoline powered equipment and never have issues.
I only keep 3 or 4 gallons of fuel on hand as I figure I can always drain on of the cars if needed.

Chet
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

I just moved southern Florida and I am preparing for when we lose power after a hurricane. It could be for a few hours or days. Who knows?

But I would like to run the A/C, fridge, and some house lights. Never had one before so I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks

Dave
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Last photo:

I still have my Yamaha 6600kv generator that I bought right after the 1981 ice storm. It has taken me through three hurricanes and resides now in North Texas ready for the next malady. This time however it has been converted to run on natural gas. I highly recommend Yamaha and Honda generators the price difference is worth it IMHO. I will never buy a generator with a Briggs engine on it, too much mechanical noise and gas consumption is too high.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 07-09-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
I still have my Yamaha 6600kv
Vince
Duh, should have been 6600 watt

Vince
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Generator Sizing 101

The biggest mistake most people make when buying a generator is buying the wrong size-too small and the result is not being able to run the equipment you need.too big and you need to deal with heavy fuel consumption and excessive noise. The key to getting it right is to make a realistic list of what you want to run and the electrical requirements to run it. Most appliances have a data plate that will list the voltage and amperage needed- simply convert the data on the nameplate to watts by multiplying volts by amps and total up your list.
To just run essentials- refrigerator,a few lights,maybe a tv or computer,you'll find you can get by with a 5Kw generator or smaller,but if pumps,a/c or heat get involved,the generator you need is going to be larger. As an example, a typical central a/c unit will require 30 amps at 240 volts,or 7200 watts. An all electrically heated home may need 15,000 watts just for heat. An electric range is usually sized at 8Kw .Calculate the maximum load of all equipment that will be used at the same time( you won't be running heat and a/c at the same time,right?) and you'll be able to determine the smallest generator that will be able to do what you want to do. To promote longer life for the generator and allow some room for future needs,I suggest you get a unit at least 20% larger than your present needs.
**** VERY IMPORTANT ******
When hooking up your generator-MAKE VERY SURE that there is NO possibility of back feeding power into the incoming service of your house.
It is very possible to feed power into the utility company's distribution network and electricute one of the linemen who is trying to restore power to you. The best way to avoid this is to have a qualified electrician install a properly sized transfer switch and show you what to do to set up and run your generator.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Backfeed WITH an interlock will work too, and they are cheaper than a transfer switch, but if an interlock kit is not available for your breaker box ( interlock panel with a breaker ), then you have to go for a transfer switch.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

Already had that installed last week. Thanks

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.