Generator -- help urgent plz! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 08:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Generator -- help urgent plz!

I'm currently w/o power, after Hurricane Isobel, and my generator has been running since 10am .. it's 10:40pm now.

I don't have my owner's manual, and haven't really used this before, for an length of time, so I'm not sure how much longer it will run, before it's out of gas.

It's a GenTek Pro 4.5, by Coleman I think. It's 4 years old. I did a search on the net for this, and couldn't find it.

I'm not sure if I should shut it off, and put gas in, before going to bed, or hoping it will keep going all night! Truthfully, I'm a bit afraid that if I turn it off, I won't get it started again. I'm totally non-mechanical.

I put about 10-15 gals of gasoline in it this morning. Can anyone give me a fast answer? I'm afraid to even stay online, truthfully. I'm not sure if I'm using up gas by having my puter on.

Help please!

Kat

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Blue Jay Racing

Last photo:

I found a Coleman Gen Tek at:

http://www.cabinets-by-norwall.com/vert6500.htm

If yours is similar to this one, it doesn't look like it will make it through the night without refilling.

Good luck. Hope you get through this mess OK.

-M
Old 09-20-2003, 08:40 AM

Yes, that's exactly my generator! wow tyty

Well, i did have to refill it at 11:30pm last night, so now I know, and will be on roughly a 12 hour schedule, til the power is restored here.

Thanks again for your help, I do appreciate it ;o)
Old 09-21-2003, 07:38 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You have the good info. The gen run time is usually posted for about 60% capacity, which you would not have continuously. You want to use your electricity sparingly. Also, if your generator has not been hooked through an isolation control panel, make sure your main power is disconnected and stays that way until the generator is disconnected from the panel. Also, shut your generator off while refueling and give the fumes time to dissipate before restarting. The arcing can sure cause a big time explosion of the gasoline fumes!!! A couple of other points is exercise your generator about every 3 and not more than 4 months. That is start it up, put on line and run for about an hour. This way, you will not be wondering why it does not work 18 months from now. Additionally, put an additive to your gasoline that keeps it "alive" over extended time. Even then it is a good ideal to drain it our every spring and burn it in your lawn mower or what ever.

Now you know more than you ever wanted to know about standby generators!!!

Trees
Old 09-23-2003, 03:09 PM

thank you trees, and everyone, for the help. We're still without power here, in my corner of Virginia, so I've gotten to know a lot about this generator lol

it has a cap of 7.5 gals, and that runs it about 12-13 hrs, even with my 2 neighbors refrigerators plugged in. They're sure happy I have it, as am i.

I didn't know about letting the fumes dissipate before starting it up, and i've had a couple of backfires, so i guess i'm lucky i haven't blown myself up! will do that from now on tho, ty

i had this old house totally rewired 4 yrs ago, and at that time, they created a generator plug in box, with a lever, so i'm all set there. Now, I just have to be on top of the maintenance. I tend to forget to start it up to keep the battery charged, and we're still not out of hurricane season, and have ice storm season looming.

thanks again everyone, great input!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.