Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Get Ready to Topcoat or Seal first
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yesterday was a bad day. I finally finished sanding the car, bumpers, trim pieces, etc,. and decided to spray the second half of the urethane as a sealer (reduced) thinking that it would be much smoother...

While it sprayed much faster this time, it went on too wet (my fault for not setting up the gun properly I'm sure) and it is almost as rough as the first time and has lots of runs. It wouldn't be so bad if it only required a little sanding, but I always have to go really deep as I get little pin holes. What is causing this?

If I have to sand this all the way down again: 1) I'm going to have a nervous breakdown; 2) I'm not going to use this primer ever again; 3) I'm going to pick up more of the epoxy primer and spray a couple more coats of that instead. The epoxy sands WAY easier than the high build and it goes on way smoother to begin with.

It takes me almost as long to clean out the garage after sanding, in preparation for paint; as it takes me to sand the damn thing. I also forgot to spray a couple of pieces yesterday, which just added to the frustration. But, in retrospect, I'm glad I hadn't, because I would have had to sand it all over again anyway.

I'll post some pics later, but basically they will look like the previous ones with way more runs. FWIW, I'm using a 1.7mm tip. Should I have used a 1.4, as the primer was mixed as a sealer?