Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Get Ready to Topcoat or Seal first
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. I had to put the project on hold until the weather got nicer.

Before I went AWOL...

Sanded the whole car to 220 and re primed the whole car with high build again. This was a mistake in my opinion. I was back where I started, with a whole car to sand again and the same solvent trapped pitting that made sanding the car the first time such a drag. I did what uhohjim suggested and mixed some reducer in. This helped the flow, but it still got really chunky towards the end.

this week...

I peeled off the masking tape, and learned an important lesson: don't wait 3 months to remove your masking tape after 2-3 coats of epoxy and 2-3 coats of high-build. the trim is going to have to be removed now for sure and hopefully, it will clean up. Otherwise, I will have to open my wallet for some new ones.

i spent all night sanding yesterday with 180 grit on an 18" longboard. I have a lot of pits to sand out, but the panels are looking pretty straight. I also have some cracks in the primer that need to be fixed. I was planning on sanding into them until I hit the bottom of the crack, then widening the crack slightly and filling it in. any recommendations/suggestions?