Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Get Ready to Topcoat or Seal first
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I generally wet sand with anything finer than 180 paper. Otherwise it clogs too much. You should have no trouble water sanding that primer.
Sanding is a pain, but has to be done. Its the only way to get a flat smooth surface. Let the paper do the work, using a quality paper helps too.
Just a note, you can use a direct to metal surfacer which will save an epoxy step over bare metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove
the scotchbrite doesn't seem to clog nealy as much as the sandpaper and I wasn't sure if I should wetsand. As I mentioned there are a few spots of bare metal and I don't know if the primer will like getting wet. I read the data sheet for the primer I listed above (high-build), but it doesn't say anything about wetsanding. I've made every mistake in the book, except for that one so far ...and then again I could be making a mistake by not wetsanding too!

My next purchase is going to be a set of flexible durablocks. I find with the longboard it's easy to apply too much pressure to the centre of curves. In the case of my good, which has a slight radius, everytime I go over the centre it is pushed down slightly.