Hot Rod Forum banner

Get rid of drive by wire

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  emwolb 
#1 ·
I've done a search for this but can't seem to come up with a solution.

I have an '03 or '04 5.3 LS1 going into a '37 Chevrolet. I do not want the drive by wire. How can I get rid of this system and use the old rod or cable system.

Please don't convince me to try to keep the drive by wire. I don't care to do that.

Thanks,
Brandon

#7 ·
Vetteman61 said:
I haven't figured this out yet. I'm using a 4l60E trans. I'm going to be working on this in the new few coming weeks and am trying to get ideas on the best way to make it happen.

Brandon
it wouldn't be cheap, but I think the easiest/cleanest way, would be to talk to painless wire
I would bet they have a kit for the whole thing or at least point you in the right direction

#8 ·
Vetteman61 said:
I've done a search for this but can't seem to come up with a solution.

I have an '03 or '04 5.3 LS1 going into a '37 Chevrolet. I do not want the drive by wire. How can I get rid of this system and use the old rod or cable system.

Please don't convince me to try to keep the drive by wire. I don't care to do that.

Thanks,
Brandon
The easiest way to do a late model transplant is to take as much of the original as possible and use it. I have not seen you post a reason as to why you dont want dbw.

#9 ·
I'm not trying to be confrontational at all, but in all honesty if we all wanted to do things the easiest way we wouldn't be building our own cars. I think the reason most of us do it is so that we enjoy engineering and also so we can build our cars the way that suits us. That way we don't have to worry about the problem of having things the way most people want them when you deal with mass produced items.

I'll check in with the harness provider when I call them and see what they have to say.

Brandon

#10 ·
As someone who worked as a controls engineer for 6 years and built and tuned 3 diy ECU's I am telling you that if you have to ask the question then it is much more work than you want to deal with. Removing it is not just a matter of rewiring and any information your "harness provider" can give you will be of no use at all when it come to actually making it work.

Now, there may be a solution out there for this since the swaps are getting very popular, but it will not just be a wiring change and throwing a throttle cable on it.

I am simply asking why you want to do it?

#11 ·
I just talked to the guy who's going to do my harness. He's from Speartech. He said it's as simple as putting a 99-02 throttle body on it and using an ECM from a 99-02 vehicle.

That's easier than I had thought.

Talking to him on the phone has be pretty anxious about if I'm going to be able to hook all the electronics on this motor up correctly, but I've heard people in the past say it's pretty much foolproof. I guess I'll attempt to prove them wrong.

Brandon

#14 · (Edited)
35WINDOW said:
I am trying to think of a way to operate a 4L60E without a TPS Sensor? Maybe only in manual mode?
99-02s still have a TPS on the throttle body.

My Silverado is a '00 and still uses a cable and I've owned a couple newer cars with drive by wire. In stock form I much prefer the cable driven throttle. It provides a more direct "feedback" when you step on the throttle. The factory drive by wire calibration on my current car just feels weird.

#15 ·
Vetteman61 said:
I just talked to the guy who's going to do my harness. He's from Speartech. He said it's as simple as putting a 99-02 throttle body on it and using an ECM from a 99-02 vehicle.

That's easier than I had thought.

Talking to him on the phone has be pretty anxious about if I'm going to be able to hook all the electronics on this motor up correctly, but I've heard people in the past say it's pretty much foolproof. I guess I'll attempt to prove them wrong.

Brandon
very nice :thumbup:

#16 ·
Thanks Matt.

You're correct Blazin, from what I've understood so far the 99-02 trucks (and cars, or some of them) used the same motor with the drive by wire setup and the tps should be contained within the throttle body on one of these vehicles. Since I'll be hitting up a junkyard to get a pcm I'll probably take a look and see how of the throttle cable setup I want to use and how much I want to fabricate myself.

Brandon

#17 · (Edited)
You're using a 5.3 right? I think you'll need an ecm calibrated for that engine. 99-02 had several different engines. The Corvette, Camaro and Firebird got the 5.7 LS1 but the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0s were Vortec truck engines. Each of these engines have significant differences in their calibrations so you'll want to make sure you have the right computer, even between the trucks. The other option is to pick up some tuning software from HP Tuners, LS1Edit, etc. Which you may have to do anyway since you want to drop the drive by wire.

The TPS on the cable drives throttle bodies bolts to the side of the throttle body.

By the way, in the not too distant future I'll be installing a 6.0 in a 67 Chevy C10 short bed. The new engines are the way to go. :thumbup:

#18 ·
If you have the engine harness and PCM with DBW and don't like DBW like most because of the built in lag this can be programmed out to be as responsive as a cable.

To switch a DBW TB to Cable will not only need the mechanical end changed but PCM reflash to cable system or possibly differant PCM as well as wiring issues.

#20 ·
another electrical solution, perhaps.

i'm building, or re building my '24 dodge coupe, and i'm using an 04 hemi out of a dodge truck. it has the 5 speed double overdrive electronic trans, along with the throttle by wire. lokar makes a pedal with the hall sensor that can solve the problem for the ford and chevy guys. they're still working on the mopar part, but hopefully soon to come. i got my wiring harness that lets me use the fuel injection, all the sensors, and the electronic trans for the late hemi. street&performance in mena arkansas builds harnesses for the new electronic motors and transmissions. the one i got fits great, and now i have to get a basic harness for the rest of the car. i hope this helps.

#22 ·
hall sensor answer

the hall sensor is what the throttle assembly reads so the electric motor attached to the throttle body will work. there are two types of sensors, perhaps a potentiometer, and of course the hall effect sensor which transmits information to the ecm so it can drive the throttle body. this is great for us who have different size tires, or different rear end gears. for my quick change it's ideal to have the gps system because it reads off the triangulation of the gps satellites to determine the speed. this means that after 20 minutes when i swap out my 3.91 gears to the 4.88 gears, my speedo will still read right without having to calibrate anything. if you have an electronic speedo, autometer, vdo, etc, it will likely work. the little box, about half the size of a deck of playing cards can mount just about anywhere as long as it can see the sky, just like a garmin gps system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.