Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Modern Electronic Engines (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/modern-electronic-engines/)
-   -   Get rid of drive by wire (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/get-rid-drive-wire-217796.html)

Vetteman61 04-04-2012 10:02 PM

Get rid of drive by wire

I've done a search for this but can't seem to come up with a solution.

I have an '03 or '04 5.3 LS1 going into a '37 Chevrolet. I do not want the drive by wire. How can I get rid of this system and use the old rod or cable system.

Please don't convince me to try to keep the drive by wire. I don't care to do that.

Thanks,
Brandon

matt167 04-04-2012 10:31 PM

1999-2001 cable drive setup, but it may need ECU and wire harness also.. It may be easier to butcher the original pedal up to get just the resistor out of it, hook it somewhere under the dash and put a cable on that

Vetteman61 04-04-2012 10:47 PM

I don't currently have an ECU and I'm going to have to have a harness made so those are real big issues for me. So would I have to get another throttle body and install it?

thanks,
Brandon

evolvo 04-04-2012 10:48 PM

OK, so you don't want to be talked into keeping DBW. But your installing an LS1 that has electronic injectors, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, inlet air temp sensor, knock sensors, mass airflow sensor and probably an electronic transmission all controlled by an ECU but you want a cable operated throttle pedal! When for about $105 you could have one of these http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/new...e-by-wire.html and avoid countless headaches. Far be it from me to convince you otherwise :confused:

So I was writing when you put up your last post: If you need to have a harness made just have them include DBW, easy peasy.

Vetteman61 04-04-2012 11:04 PM

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

evolvo 04-04-2012 11:09 PM

OK, just wanted to be clear :) ;) :D

matts37chev 04-05-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vetteman61
I don't currently have an ECU and I'm going to have to have a harness made so those are real big issues for me.
thanks,
Brandon

just curious :confused:
do you have this part figured out already?
trans also?
and what are you using for a chassis wire harness?

Vetteman61 04-05-2012 10:20 AM

I haven't figured this out yet. I'm using a 4l60E trans. I'm going to be working on this in the new few coming weeks and am trying to get ideas on the best way to make it happen.

Brandon

matts37chev 04-05-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

I haven't figured this out yet. I'm using a 4l60E trans. I'm going to be working on this in the new few coming weeks and am trying to get ideas on the best way to make it happen.

Brandon

it wouldn't be cheap, but I think the easiest/cleanest way, would be to talk to painless wire
I would bet they have a kit for the whole thing or at least point you in the right direction

TurboS10 04-05-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

I've done a search for this but can't seem to come up with a solution.

I have an '03 or '04 5.3 LS1 going into a '37 Chevrolet. I do not want the drive by wire. How can I get rid of this system and use the old rod or cable system.

Please don't convince me to try to keep the drive by wire. I don't care to do that.

Thanks,
Brandon

The easiest way to do a late model transplant is to take as much of the original as possible and use it. I have not seen you post a reason as to why you dont want dbw.

Vetteman61 04-05-2012 01:44 PM

I'm not trying to be confrontational at all, but in all honesty if we all wanted to do things the easiest way we wouldn't be building our own cars. I think the reason most of us do it is so that we enjoy engineering and also so we can build our cars the way that suits us. That way we don't have to worry about the problem of having things the way most people want them when you deal with mass produced items.

I'll check in with the harness provider when I call them and see what they have to say.

Brandon

TurboS10 04-05-2012 01:55 PM

As someone who worked as a controls engineer for 6 years and built and tuned 3 diy ECU's I am telling you that if you have to ask the question then it is much more work than you want to deal with. Removing it is not just a matter of rewiring and any information your "harness provider" can give you will be of no use at all when it come to actually making it work.

Now, there may be a solution out there for this since the swaps are getting very popular, but it will not just be a wiring change and throwing a throttle cable on it.

I am simply asking why you want to do it?

Vetteman61 04-05-2012 02:09 PM

I just talked to the guy who's going to do my harness. He's from Speartech. He said it's as simple as putting a 99-02 throttle body on it and using an ECM from a 99-02 vehicle.

That's easier than I had thought.

Talking to him on the phone has be pretty anxious about if I'm going to be able to hook all the electronics on this motor up correctly, but I've heard people in the past say it's pretty much foolproof. I guess I'll attempt to prove them wrong.

Brandon

35WINDOW 04-05-2012 02:09 PM

I am trying to think of a way to operate a 4L60E without a TPS Sensor? Maybe only in manual mode?

TurboS10 04-05-2012 02:59 PM

Glad you have a solution in mind. I dont understand why you would want to have to find more parts when you have everything you need including a harness, but its your project. I can promise one thing; it will be a learning experience.