Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Get the smoke smell out (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/get-smoke-smell-out-226077.html)

jpd37 11-14-2012 08:40 AM

Get the smoke smell out

I just acquired an original 1930 Ford that had a small fire inside the car. I have cleaned the car but I'm still smelling the burn. Not sure what burned. All the wiring was removed along with the door panels and headliner. A friend told me he heard that "an ion treatment" will remove the smell. What is an ion treatment? Any ideas or suggestions?

OneMoreTime 11-14-2012 11:06 AM

Smoke leaves a sticky film on everything..soo it is scrub scrub scrub to get that film off..it is probably in the interior cavities as well..Sorry for your pain..:pain:

Sam

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 11-14-2012 12:41 PM

It is done with an "Ion generator". I have one that I used to use regularly back in the seventies..

It is a unit about the size of a battery charger. It emits an odor similar to the smell of a high voltage electric dyno.

Back in the day, I used to buy lightly burned or dead body smell cars. Remember the old tale of nothing removing dead body/corpse smells? It's a load of B S and this unit, along with a thorough cleaning with Tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), will remove all traces of odors.

The unit is heII on rubber parts. So they have to be removed/protected.

At the time I was the only one in northern Michigan with a unit. You may try an established, well equiped automotive trim shop or detail shop.

jpd37 11-15-2012 08:46 AM

Thanks. I'll start looking for a source.

Wrenchup 12-03-2012 09:12 PM

I had to clean some items that were smoke damaged, I tried everything and finally used some Westley's tire cleaner. The Westley's work the best, you will see the smoke wash away. The Westley's has a mild acid in it so try to keep it off your hands.

YAMAGRANT 12-12-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com (Post 1611199)
It is done with an "Ion generator". I have one that I used to use regularly back in the seventies..

It is a unit about the size of a battery charger. It emits an odor similar to the smell of a high voltage electric dyno.

Back in the day, I used to buy lightly burned or dead body smell cars. Remember the old tale of nothing removing dead body/corpse smells? It's a load of B S and this unit, along with a thorough cleaning with Tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), will remove all traces of odors.

The unit is heII on rubber parts. So they have to be removed/protected.

At the time I was the only one in northern Michigan with a unit. You may try an established, well equiped automotive trim shop or detail shop.

We use an Ionizer also in our highway tractors (some driver's can smell a truck up real good) They're expensive, but work like a charm. Check out a local detailing shop. They may rent one to you.:thumbup:

BarryK 12-12-2012 10:45 AM

A search of Ionizers bring up everything for $11 to 109, can't believe any of these at that price are any good.

Do you guys have a model number? Also we have a section at work where I allow the guys to smoke and the stuff creeps everywhere and was wondering if these units would work out in an open area by the smoking table??

Thanks

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 12-12-2012 11:37 AM

Also known as ozone generators My unit is a very old equiv of model PT109a Ozone Generators or try these guys Ozone Generator Testimonials - Air-Zone Ozone Generators

BarryK 12-12-2012 12:06 PM

Thank you Bob, I just ordered the Pro-4, looks like that will work great in the smoking area.
We use the best HEPTA air and heat filters we can buy and we change them once a week throughout the plant but sometimes you walk in the offices in the morning and it smells like a bar and that may only happen once or twice a month, why I have no clue, as the areas are all on separate heating and air systems.

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem at the source as we will park it by the table and leave it running all the time.

Thanks again Bob!

Old Fool 12-17-2012 06:35 AM

Around here the rental stores carry them they refer to them as ozone generators.

BarryK 12-17-2012 07:10 AM

This unit is set for delivery Tomorrow, will let you know how it works.

Another note, My mom in FL has a 2001 PT Cruiser with 27,000 miles and is perfect she is selling, One of my employees is going to buy it for his wife and like I told him, the only thing wrong with this car is the windows have never been down and it smells like a smoke factory.
So I'm thinking this unit will fix this problem, when we get the car here.

Thunders 12-17-2012 01:54 PM

I have a ozone generator and they work well. I know guy's that use them when remodeling after a house fire. just don't expose yourself to it for a long period it will dry out your mucus membranes in your eyes and lungs.

mh1984 12-17-2012 08:07 PM

I used to work as a porter on a car lot for four years and we would run our used units accross to the new side of the dealership and have an ozone machine ran inside for a while to remove bad cigarette odors out of the vehicles. The ac fan was turned on also to circulate the ionized air in the vehicle. The machine produced an odor similar to that of bleach. The odor of smoke left the vehicle and so did the smell from ionized air.

mh1984 12-17-2012 08:30 PM

Ozone machines can dry your sinus and mucous membranes so dont breath the air in the vehicle for a little while after the machine has been ran in it.

BarryK 12-19-2012 09:21 AM

This unit came in after I left yesterday, so set it up this morning, the unit is suppose to do about 3400 square feet and it is set up in a section that is about 8000.
With in 60 minutes and 3-6 guys puffing away on and off at the table you could not smell any smoke at all.
Even the worst critic walled out there and for the first time sat at the table with the guys to BS.

I'm impressed!!!