Get the smoke smell out - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Get the smoke smell out

I just acquired an original 1930 Ford that had a small fire inside the car. I have cleaned the car but I'm still smelling the burn. Not sure what burned. All the wiring was removed along with the door panels and headliner. A friend told me he heard that "an ion treatment" will remove the smell. What is an ion treatment? Any ideas or suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Smoke leaves a sticky film on everything..soo it is scrub scrub scrub to get that film off..it is probably in the interior cavities as well..Sorry for your pain..

Sam
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

It is done with an "Ion generator". I have one that I used to use regularly back in the seventies..

It is a unit about the size of a battery charger. It emits an odor similar to the smell of a high voltage electric dyno.

Back in the day, I used to buy lightly burned or dead body smell cars. Remember the old tale of nothing removing dead body/corpse smells? It's a load of B S and this unit, along with a thorough cleaning with Tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), will remove all traces of odors.

The unit is heII on rubber parts. So they have to be removed/protected.

At the time I was the only one in northern Michigan with a unit. You may try an established, well equiped automotive trim shop or detail shop.
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBCRMAN@aol.com For This Useful Post:
jpd37 (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks. I'll start looking for a source.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM

I had to clean some items that were smoke damaged, I tried everything and finally used some Westley's tire cleaner. The Westley's work the best, you will see the smoke wash away. The Westley's has a mild acid in it so try to keep it off your hands.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
It is done with an "Ion generator". I have one that I used to use regularly back in the seventies..

It is a unit about the size of a battery charger. It emits an odor similar to the smell of a high voltage electric dyno.

Back in the day, I used to buy lightly burned or dead body smell cars. Remember the old tale of nothing removing dead body/corpse smells? It's a load of B S and this unit, along with a thorough cleaning with Tri-sodium phosphate (TSP), will remove all traces of odors.

The unit is heII on rubber parts. So they have to be removed/protected.

At the time I was the only one in northern Michigan with a unit. You may try an established, well equiped automotive trim shop or detail shop.
We use an Ionizer also in our highway tractors (some driver's can smell a truck up real good) They're expensive, but work like a charm. Check out a local detailing shop. They may rent one to you.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

A search of Ionizers bring up everything for $11 to 109, can't believe any of these at that price are any good.

Do you guys have a model number? Also we have a section at work where I allow the guys to smoke and the stuff creeps everywhere and was wondering if these units would work out in an open area by the smoking table??

Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

Also known as ozone generators My unit is a very old equiv of model PT109a Ozone Generators or try these guys Ozone Generator Testimonials - Air-Zone Ozone Generators

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 12-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBCRMAN@aol.com For This Useful Post:
BarryK (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Thank you Bob, I just ordered the Pro-4, looks like that will work great in the smoking area.
We use the best HEPTA air and heat filters we can buy and we change them once a week throughout the plant but sometimes you walk in the offices in the morning and it smells like a bar and that may only happen once or twice a month, why I have no clue, as the areas are all on separate heating and air systems.

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem at the source as we will park it by the table and leave it running all the time.

Thanks again Bob!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

Around here the rental stores carry them they refer to them as ozone generators.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 AM

Last photo:

This unit is set for delivery Tomorrow, will let you know how it works.

Another note, My mom in FL has a 2001 PT Cruiser with 27,000 miles and is perfect she is selling, One of my employees is going to buy it for his wife and like I told him, the only thing wrong with this car is the windows have never been down and it smells like a smoke factory.
So I'm thinking this unit will fix this problem, when we get the car here.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM

I have a ozone generator and they work well. I know guy's that use them when remodeling after a house fire. just don't expose yourself to it for a long period it will dry out your mucus membranes in your eyes and lungs.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM

I used to work as a porter on a car lot for four years and we would run our used units accross to the new side of the dealership and have an ozone machine ran inside for a while to remove bad cigarette odors out of the vehicles. The ac fan was turned on also to circulate the ionized air in the vehicle. The machine produced an odor similar to that of bleach. The odor of smoke left the vehicle and so did the smell from ionized air.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Ozone machines can dry your sinus and mucous membranes so dont breath the air in the vehicle for a little while after the machine has been ran in it.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

This unit came in after I left yesterday, so set it up this morning, the unit is suppose to do about 3400 square feet and it is set up in a section that is about 8000.
With in 60 minutes and 3-6 guys puffing away on and off at the table you could not smell any smoke at all.
Even the worst critic walled out there and for the first time sat at the table with the guys to BS.

I'm impressed!!!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.