gettin ready to do my interior. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 05:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gettin ready to do my interior.

I am gettin ready to redo my whole interior, door pannels and all. I am gonna sand down every thing or is that a bad move? I am gonna primer every thing with a good primer and i am gonna have it sprayed in there. I am gettin a precut carpet so what carpet glue should i use? I install carpets in houses/buisnesses, do you think that would be good to use or is there something that might be a little better for cars? Should i just take the glue off and leave the stock paint on there even though its pretty crappy? I ordered my carpet today, and my door pannels are gettin ordered next pay day, i wanna get it done before the start of winter. Is there anything like dinomat thats cheaper or somthing? I mostly want it for reducing noise and not really to keep in heat or keep it out. Do you think that custom made sheet metal door pannels would work? me and my friend fabed up some for his bronco but thats just an off road beater. I am going to be doing all my work my self on my car because i am cheap, well no i just like the pride in saying i did it my self. Ohh yeah before i forget its a 72 vw bug if that would make any diffence. I am also thinkin if my floor boards are rusted out that this would be the time to cut them out and weld in some new ones. Thanks for any help.

Peace,
Wil

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

3M Super 77 is good for insulation and carpet.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-22-2003, 03:12 AM
Crazy Canadian, woohooooo!

Last photo:

I'm guessing there's rust inside? I hope you plan on using a sandblaster, otherwise you'll be there until the following winter. LOL As far as the Dynamat issue goes, there is a product out there (I think it's called V-Block), that you can spray on metal and plastic. It does the same thing as Dynamat, but it adheres and conforms to irregular surfaces a heck of a lot better. And it's considerably cheaper (I think my cost for a bucket was around C$50, and that would do a complete interior). It was pretty cool stuff.

V-blok

By the way, how did the amp install go?

Marc
Old 08-22-2003, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

well i riped out my interior today, and YAY!!! my floor boards are not rusted just some minor surface rust that i cleaned up with my sander. I am gonna like rollin around with out carpet it gives it that "project hot rod look" even though its a vw. My amp install went great two 12" pioneer(wal-mart) subs on a sony x-plode amp(wal-mart) i am cheap but it sounds okie for now. well i gotta go try to figure out what i am gonna do with my motor now.

Peace,
Wil
Old 08-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

I remember reading a post by KristKustoms (I believe), and it said to not use home carpeting inside a car. There were a few reasons, but the one that sticks out in my mind is that it looks like crap. Sanding and primering the interior is a great idea, and now's the best time to do it. There's a bunch of threads on doing your own custom door panels along with a lot of great links, do a search and you should come up with a lot of great info. Oh yeah, good to hear that there's no rust!

BTW, don't be embarrased about being cheap, I'm right there with ya! I think if I could afford to have someone do the work for me, I would pay for it! At least pain in the ***** jobs...
Old 08-22-2003, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

KristKustoms said that home carpeting is stiff and very hard to work with ... and that it usually looks "wrong" for the application. I've looked at some and, naturally, Shawn sure knows what he's talking about.

Hey - Sony makes good stuff, man! I put 2 Sony Xplode speakers in my truck and they do a powerful good job!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-22-2003, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Good to hear about the amp install. That's cool about the subs, Alan. I kinda miss car audio sometimes. One thing I learned is that anything can be made to sound good if it's done right. Did you do the install yourself Alan?

Marc
Old 08-22-2003, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Hey, Marc

Yeah ... I did it myself. Nothing too complicated ... First, let me say that I generally don't like tunes while I'm driving -- I prefer listening to my engine and pipes.

But my truck's dash had been butchered and had an old radio/cassette player in there, so I thought the easiest thing to do would be to clean it up and put a decent system in ... and on longer drives, I do enjoy checking the radio and/or playing some tunes -- I'm waiting to get Dylan's Blonde On Blonde, and Buffalo Springfield, cassettes (my 2 all-time-favorite albums).

First thing I did was, I bought 4 cheapo speakers at Radio Shack and experimented with the sound in my truck. I discovered that 4 speakers just didn't work -- I guess a truck cab is too small ... and the sound was just bouncing all over the place and making mud pie. I tried speakers in every location imaginable, but the best scenario turned out to be 2 speakers. I put them under the dash, in the side kickpanels ... driver side pointing at passenger's head; passenger side pointing at driver's head.

Then, I bought a 1955 Chevy radio/cassette from Chevy Duty - excellent choice! 100 watts, electronic tuning, LED display - but when off, looks like the old fashioned numbered dial.

Once I had the radio and the spec's of it's output, I went and got 2 Sony Xplode speakers -- the thing to do is forget the watts CLAIMED for the system -- get the specs from the manual and look at how many watts __RMS__ your system puts out PER CHANNEL ... then get speakers that put out DOUBLE that amount (again RMS -- NOT advertised wattage). For example my Sony Xplodes advertise (on the box) 160 Watts but the specs are 45 watts rms and my radio claims 100 Watts but the specs say 18 watts rms output ... so you go by the rms values : double my stereo out put (18) and I want speakers that handle at least 36 watts rms. THAT'S the trick to getting great sound (to begin with).

The radio fit in the dash holes that were made, and I created a faceplate that would cover all the misc. holes made by POs ... then I made boxes for the speakers to give them a "body" of sound ... and when I tested it out, I smiled from ear to ear!

I can crank the volume, bass and treble knobs (all) to FULL blast and there's NO distortion, just pure and clean sound!

Here's my web page revealing my Radio Install

Here's my web page revealing my Speaker Boxes

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-23-2003, 02:36 AM

Last photo:

I must say Alan, that install turned out pretty sweet! I agree with the two speaker issue, there's just too much "reflection" in such a small space to have four speakers. You've got your speakers in a pretty good spot too, that location helps to equalize the distance between your ears and the speakers giving you much improved "imaging" in the sound. Awesome work man!

Marc
Old 08-23-2003, 03:04 AM

Last photo:

THANKS, bro'!

I does sound GOOD ... and it sure is rewarding to do something yourself (that you've never done before) and do a good job. I guess that's what turns me on so much about this truck -- ya do something new to it, and all the time you're in it, driving somewhere, it's there to grin about.

I know a lot of people put the speakers in the doors, but that idea seemed bad to me for a number of reasons ... 1, the sound gets blocked by our legs ... 2, the speakers can get kicked by feet when getting in and out ... and 3, not enough room to build a good, insulated box.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.