getting a 400 sbc.wtd - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

doing the new connecting rods. There those 4340 forged ones from scat.. And those valve springs im sorry you were right. Those inner flat coils make a newbie think there something. But i will reuse them for the break in on new cam. Had that experienced friend look at the block, it has partiall ridge, it also looked standard to him. But im taking one of the pistons to orielys have them measure the piston. And those budget heads look nice i dont mind dishing 400 bucks for good street rod heads

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

ok so i have ive got most of it figured out. Getting it bored all the stuff it takes to build it, machinist here is great, builds engines on fixed price $400, anything i want. What kinda cam grind would you prefer for this? I have thought since the longer the stroke, the bigger valve overlap i can take advantage of. Im wanting a rock solid street performance, if this helps, some low end grunt and some high rpm power. Im doing vortec heads from summit those should help with torque, they come assembled 175 cc intake runners, with a dual plane weind intake, and the heads can take .525 lift on springs. 750 holley dual feed, now the big issue is, the cam specs. I have, 110 lobe seperation, and the tricky part now is its duration. This cam i want, specifically wanting it to shread the tires at will. Its gonna be a retro fit roller. Any ideas? Thank you. P.s im getting a degree wheel also, have the ideas of how to make more torque and longentivity of the engine.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubba
Here's a simple combo that you can build. Call http://www.aeroheadracing.com/id7.html and get a set of Dart Iron Eagle S/S 72cc with 165 runners get them to install 2.02 and 1.60 valves. Buy some of these http://www.kb-silvolite.com/kb_car/p...hp?action=comp they will give you about 9.5 to one compression. Get a set of 5.7 rods to go with theses pistons. Buy you a Elberbrock RPM intakeand a 750cfm carb. And for a cam this is what i would pick. http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/...oductId=746624. I Think you would have a nice 375 to 400 Hp motor with all the torque you could handle.
i hate to keep dragging this on but i have an intresting question about those 400 dollar pre 86 reman heads on that site for sbc. I wanted to know if those would be good for street set up for my 400. I mean dont get me wrong the vortecs can wait... i am getting long duration cam set up, have been looking at that custom grind thing on ebay someone suggested, think it was you, not for sure. But any ways i wanted to know if these budget heads with 2.02 int. And 1.60 exhaust would be good for a daily driver, and also higher RPMs. Cam im thinking of for this is dur .289/303 exh. Lift .515/ .510. Lobe sep, is another qeustion what do ya suggest for this application? Intake will be a wiend G-Team

Last edited by chevy302builder18; 06-28-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Those $400 heads are just old design smogger heads rebuilt. NOWHERE as good as the vortecs. The vortecs are worth an easy 40 hp over those $400 heads. Vortecs have the best port on a non-LS engine to come out of GM. Vortecs also have the modern heart shaped chamber. Get the Vortecs!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Those $400 heads are just old design smogger heads rebuilt. NOWHERE as good as the vortecs. The vortecs are worth an easy 40 hp over those $400 heads. Vortecs have the best port on a non-LS engine to come out of GM. Vortecs also have the modern heart shaped chamber. Get the Vortecs!!!!!!!
Hell yea ill even agree with that. I mean im thinking ahead of myself though, i dont really know how much ill have for this build, but were hoping over $1500. Those summit ones are like $620 and they accept .525 lift. Thats for both of them. Thats why i was thinking the cam lift /duration would be based around that.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

reverse flowing water pump in the 90s, is it versible for the 400 sbc. The car im putting it in has this setup on a 305, thinking it is versible. My car is a 91 Camaro RS with 700r4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dream car.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	56459   Click image for larger version

Name:	My 91 RS.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	56460  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.