Getting a 60's Malibu - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Getting a 60's Malibu

The other day I was in a park which I go to a lot. While I was walking on the hiking path that runs though it I noticed an old Chevy sitting in a carport on top of a hill. I had been in this park numerous times but never noticed it! I went up to check out what it was. It looked like a 60's Chevy Malibu that had been sitting around for awhile, but to my delight was in good shape. The car doesn't have rust anywhere on the exterior of the body and both bumpers are in immaculate shape. As far as I can tell the interior is in decent shape as well.

Well my curiosity killed me! I had to know the situation with the car. I came back another day and I saw an elderly man outside the house. I went up to ask about the car. He immediately replied "Oh, I'd pay to have someone get ride of that thing!" I couldn't believe my luck! I told him that I would be interested in it, but apparently it isn't his car. He said it's his brother's and he won't get rid of it. "There have actually been several people to stop by about the car. He's gotten lots of offers but still doesn't want to sell it." was what the gentleman told me. I was a little disheartened, but I got into talking about cars with him. (He owns a beautifully restored VW bug.) I left my name and number and said "Well if you every want to get rid of it let me know."

When I was coming down the hill a neighbor asked me about the situation with the brother. Apparently the brother who owns the car is quite old and doesn't come out of the house anymore. The person said they both used to come outside and weren't very friendly. She assumes that his health isn't good.

I've thought about this situation and how to handle it, but haven't come up with anything. Obviously money doesn't interest him so it's pointless to offer something. I was thinking the best thing to do would be do maybe offer some sort of service or helping hand to the brothers in exchange for the car. Like walking their dog or helping them get groceries. That way it would be a win-win situation. Has anybody every done something like that for a car? What would people suggest?

Honestly I don't really know all that much about cars, but have been dying to learn. This car seems like something that could really be a great learning experience for me. I'd really love to have the car! I want to be able to fix cars and work on them myself. Do people think this is a good starting point?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Yea I know what ya meen. I know where a perfect 66 Nova SS is under a carport. It is like new. I stopped and ask about it and was told it was not for sale for any amount of money. Must have some sentimental value. The tags ran out on it about 10 years ago.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Ask him if there is anything he would like to trade for the car, like a scooter, 3 wheeled bike, etc.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Ask him if there is anything he would like to trade for the car, like a scooter, 3 wheeled bike, etc.
If that doesn't work, tell him that you'll be the first in line at his funeral to hand the cash over to his next of kin! That should bring about a change of heart....especially if he doesn't get along with his family!

Seriously, if he doesn't want to sell it, then look elsewhere for a car. There are plenty of cars, including 60's Malibu's, out there waiting to be restored. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Maybe?

Maybe if you offer to help him restore it? Ask him some questions about the car and when he plans to restore it?

I loved antny's idea ....it just may take a "shock" to get them to look at things differently. If you don't, someone else just might!

Steve
Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

Your best bet is to leave your name and phone # with the brother, and try to run the fine line between befriending him and becoming a pest! But if this car trips your trigger,don't give up! I think we all have lost out on a find because we were'nt there the day the seller finally decided to sell!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

You might want to try a completely different direction. Could there be a remote possibility that they don't get out or go anywhere is that they can't? Maybe because of age or health, they're not able to.

You might try to get to know them a bit; take an interest in their lives and situation. Old people are usually very cool once you get to know them. Maybe offer to get the car running and take them for a ride; or take them to church or the store. Offer to clean it up or wash it to show your love for it.

This could be a good thing for everybody. You might strike out completely.....but you may make a couple of good friends, and wind up with the car of your dreams.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy
You might want to try a completely different direction. Could there be a remote possibility that they don't get out or go anywhere is that they can't? Maybe because of age or health, they're not able to.

You might try to get to know them a bit; take an interest in their lives and situation. Old people are usually very cool once you get to know them. Maybe offer to get the car running and take them for a ride; or take them to church or the store. Offer to clean it up or wash it to show your love for it.

This could be a good thing for everybody. You might strike out completely.....but you may make a couple of good friends, and wind up with the car of your dreams.
Great ideas for sure. When I've run into similar situations (most recently an older gent with at least 50 vintage trucks piled into a huge metal pole-barn), the owner usually has a good reason for wanting to hang onto the car. It was either his dad's car, his own beloved high-school car........or maybe his wife's corpse is still in the trunk!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

JUST KEEP BUGGING HIM!!! ...I "found" a vertical mill in what looked like an abandoned one room gas station last year in a little town in central Calf. I went back afew times and asked at a trailer I thought was the owner. But apparently the trailer park owner own this machine. So I got his phone number and called him, he said this machine was too small for his production work and it had no sentimental value for him, and asked me for an offer ...I gave him one, but he wasn't in love with it, so I asked him to think on it. I proceed to call him about once a month for over a year. We normally talked about other things, but touched base on the mill. WELL just yesterday he give in, told me he was tired of me calling and if I wanted it for the price I offered I could have it!! I'm happier then a puppy with two peters right now!!!
Be persistent, just talk to him about anything ...show him your a "nice guy" ...whether you are or not. ALSO contact your DMV and ask then the procedure of getting a vehicle without a pink slip in your name ...so you can hit the ground running! Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy
Offer to clean it up or wash it to show your love for it.
In my experience that is a bad idea! My neighbors had a Alfa Romeo Spider that was sitting in there garage for a number of years. I had the same idea. Clean it up and show them I would take care of it so they'd let it go. I got Screwed!!!!! The couple who I was dealing with has a rocky relationship. The husband wanted to get rid of the car ASAP, but it was the wife's car and she wanted to keep it. She had a "Death Grip" on the car! They weren't ever going to put money into since they didn't want to fix it up themselves. If they wanted to get it fixed up it would have cost $12,000+ getting it done by a pro. The car in fixed up condition was at most worth $6000. It needed a lot of work to get it back into shape and mice had been living in car. I offered them $500 for it, but she didn't accept it. The car sat in the driveway for a few months until they took it to a shop. The shop said it wasn't even worth their time and asked me if I'd be willing to pay to get it out. I said "No Way!" since they left it there for 7 months. They auctioned it for $1500. At least the husband payed me for my time and the parts I put into it, but he actually lost money from paying the shop and me. It really seemed they would let go and just give it to me at some point. That never happened though!

You can't expect to do something for nothing in my opinion. There is no "Free Lunch" in the world anymore. There should be an expectation to get the car in exchange for something. I already learned that the hard way!

I could offer to help restore it but it doesn't seem like he will get around to that. An offer might be enough though. I know I could go looking for another car, but this car is in good condition from other cars I've looked at. It looks like it's been well taken care of. I'm sure other people have found it's hard to find good cars and for reasonable prices too.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayh127
In my experience that is a bad idea! My neighbors had a Alfa Romeo Spider that was sitting in there garage for a number of years. I had the same idea. Clean it up and show them I would take care of it so they'd let it go. I got Screwed!!!!! The couple who I was dealing with has a rocky relationship. The husband wanted to get rid of the car ASAP, but it was the wife's car and she wanted to keep it. She had a "Death Grip" on the car! They weren't ever going to put money into since they didn't want to fix it up themselves. If they wanted to get it fixed up it would have cost $12,000+ getting it done by a pro. The car in fixed up condition was at most worth $6000. It needed a lot of work to get it back into shape and mice had been living in car. I offered them $500 for it, but she didn't accept it. The car sat in the driveway for a few months until they took it to a shop. The shop said it wasn't even worth their time and asked me if I'd be willing to pay to get it out. I said "No Way!" since they left it there for 7 months. They auctioned it for $1500. At least the husband payed me for my time and the parts I put into it, but he actually lost money from paying the shop and me. It really seemed they would let go and just give it to me at some point. That never happened though!

You can't expect to do something for nothing in my opinion. There is no "Free Lunch" in the world anymore. There should be an expectation to get the car in exchange for something. I already learned that the hard way!

I could offer to help restore it but it doesn't seem like he will get around to that. An offer might be enough though. I know I could go looking for another car, but this car is in good condition from other cars I've looked at. It looks like it's been well taken care of. I'm sure other people have found it's hard to find good cars and for reasonable prices too.
I agree. If after a few attempts the owner STILL won't budge, it's time to forget the dream you might have of discovering and rescuing the neglected Malibu and move on. If you were talking about a rare Shelby Mustang, LS6 Chevelle, or a Hemi Mopar, then I'd recommend a more relentless pursuit. But it's just a 60's Malibu, of which there are many available, especially on the left coast.

Regarding this Malibu, how do you know that if/when he decides to let it go, that he'll sell it for CHEAP? Don't count on it, these old coons always think that they have GOLD. There's an older gent not far from me that has a huge collection of vintage trucks stored in a giant metal pole-barn. I tried prying a rust-bucket 47 Ford 1/2-ton from him, even went so far as to up my last offer to $4000 for it! I thought that was crazy, but was willing to try. Luckily, he was unimpressed with my offer and said no way. So I told him to keep it and I looked elsewhere. I ultimately bought another truck from someone else who WANTED TO SELL, in much better shape and for less money. These old guys think that their sentimental value translates into cash. If you want to find a better deal, then keep looking, they are out there, trust me! Be patient, get the word out that you want such-and-such type of car, and it'll find you. Check ebay, craigslist and your local paper often, put up a sign at your local supermarket, auto parts store, etc. Keep an open mind about what type of vehicle you want, and it'll be even easier to find something that suits you. Don't get fixated on this one find, because you might end up over-paying for something that isn't very rare.

Just my $0.03 (inflation!).
Old 01-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Just stop by and visit with them every now and then. Old folks like company. They might decide to sell it to you or even give it to you in time after they get to know you. Even if it does not work out you will have done a good thing.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

Like Henry Highrise said! ...I didn't advocate giving the brother a hard sell every time you went over there! ...
Just show you are interested, visit with the guy and learn some history on the car (could be interesting ..if you like that type of thing - I do). But he'll come to know your very interested, and he'll probably press his brother for you, and you'll be first in line! ...Could you get src*wed? Yes you could, I won't do any work on the car until you get title to it, but odds are even you could get it too. Is it worth it? ...Only you can asked that. Some guys here are wanting to grab something, fix it up, sell it, and move on. Nothing wrong with that. But if you want to get a "project" fix it up from the ground up, so it becomes "family" then any effort is not wasted ...all up to you. AGAIN my $0.02, Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
These old coons always think that they have GOLD. These old guys think that their sentimental value translates into cash. If you want to find a better deal, then keep looking, they are out there, trust me! Keep an open mind about what type of vehicle you want, and it'll be even easier to find something that suits you. Don't get fixated on this one find, because you might end up over-paying for something that isn't very rare.
I know exactly what you mean! I don't where these people come from! My neighbor neglected her Alfa Spider for 6 years. Mice started living in the car and because she loved the car sooooo much she thought that meant it was worth a lot. Reality Check!!!! If you haven't taken care of a car it will DECREASE in value. The car needed a whole lot or work and it didn't take a genius to figure it out. In my opinion if any of these people really loved their "Pieces of Junk" they would rather see them on the road running and fixed up instead of just sitting around.

You're definitely right that I shouldn't get fixated on this car. I should keep looking around. There are plenty of other cars around that I could find. I'm always shocked by the cars people have sitting around. There are lots of good finds out there when you keep an open mind and open eyes! Like I said before I'm new to this and I don't know much about cars. From what I've seen this car is in good shape and would be a good starting point.

I haven't talked to the owner, but I do see his brother a lot. I had actually seen him a lot before. Our dogs like to play together in this park. It's a popular hang-out spot for that. It would be easy to pester him now and again. When I initially talked to him about the Malibu I saw the most beautiful old VW Bug which is his car. I asked about how he restored it and he really got into a long talk about it. I've gotten to know him a little better. It may not pay off but I take my dog there a lot anyway. So who knows what will happen!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Just stop by and visit with them every now and then. Old folks like company. They might decide to sell it to you or even give it to you in time after they get to know you. Even if it does not work out you will have done a good thing.
I totally agree, I have a similar story. There is an elderly lady that lives across the street from me. Husband in nursing home (Alzheimer's) and she has pace maker but is basically doing OK, and of course on a fixed uncle Sam income. 2 years ago, at Christmas, I walk outside only to look up and see her on a ladder hanging x-mas lights. I almost had a stroke!!! Needless to say I went over and took care of the lights. While I was there I saw that the storm door closing cylinders were ripped out of the door frame. A product of the Alzheimer's,so I told her I could fix it and in short order I had it back in working order. While we were standing around talking afterward I noticed she had a slightly beat up (but complete) riding lawn mower, so I inquired about it. She gave me the low down about how her husband had flipped it several times and she was incapable of using it. So I offered to buy it, she insisted that if I wanted it I could have it for free, but she wouldn't accept any money from me for it. So I took it home cleaned it up, fresh oil, sharpen the blades, charged the battery and voila, running mower. Now while I was putting this little gem back together I got to thinking about how she had to pay someone to cut her grass every two weeks from about April thru October and being on a fixed budget. I decided that if she could be kind enough to give me a riding mower that it is only fair that she will never pay someone to cut her grass as long as I live here and can still draw a breath. She has become like another grand mother to me. The Moral here is we need to take care of our old folks, you never know what you'll get in return. A big smile and hug usually!!! See ya Brian

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.