Getting to around 396cid using 880 block - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You're really over thinking a combo that has been done to death, just get a good block with a good bore and go with the standard 3.75" strokje, 6" rods, pistons of your choice, and assemble.

your piston and ring choice will make more of a difference than .050" of stroke.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

That Imar intake is a Gen II LT1 LT4 corvette motor type intake. Won't work on a Gen I motor
(without a lot of mods). Notice the lack of a distibutor hole.

The larger port bowtie vortecs are not too big at all. Don;t let the port size sway you.
They make big power and torque. The Fast burn heads would need porting to flow the same as the new bowties.

The GMPP RamJet (Tunnel ram EFI) induction system is another good one for vortec heads.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
That Imar intake is a Gen II LT1 LT4 corvette motor type intake. Won't work on a Gen I motor
(without a lot of mods). Notice the lack of a distibutor hole.

The larger port bowtie vortecs are not too big at all. Don;t let the port size sway you.
They make big power and torque. The Fast burn heads would need porting to flow the same as the new bowties.

The GMPP RamJet (Tunnel ram EFI) induction system is another good one for vortec heads.
I didnt realize that the marine folks used GEN II engines, that would explain the intake then. That also explains a few other marine setups that I have seen as well.

On a 383 would you go Vortec Bowtie smallport. Fastburn alum., or Vortec Bowtie largeport.
You say that the Fastburns would require porting to equal the largeport heads flow numbers. Is a 383 going to require such flow numbers. Making big torque and power numbers is one thing, but at what rpm will this be happening?
I might as well ask for roller cam recommendations as well. Input?

I have talked to guys who have installed FAstburn heads on 350's and used the Fastburn 383's 222║/230║ cam and found it to be a revvy cam lacking low rpm torque.
Another guy had a couple valve seats fall out of a set of Fastburn heads.

I recently read an article where they took an HT383, added a different roller cam and came up with 460hp, up from the 340hp rating. IIRC the cam was in the 230║-240║ range at 0.050".This was promising and has me wondering if I really even need to look at other heads???

peace
Hog
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The 4340 crank in them certainly doesnt look pretty and its the same exact longblock that they use in the ZZ383,- p/n 12498772-$5459- 425hp@5400rpm/449 lb/ft@5400rpm with the 222║/230║ .509/.528"lift 112║LSA.
GMPP states that deviating from the specific intake they use on the ZZ383 can reduce power by 20hp. Makes sense.

it has a poor torque curve cause it has a single plane intake on it.

it will make a ton more low and mid torque with a dual plane hi rise manifold.
And the gain in peak HP of the single plane over the RPm style dual plane is over stated
on this motor. I bet less than 10HP. The dual plane is much better on this motor.

A slightly bigger cam will even the power difference and the dual plane will still ahve way more mid torque even with this slightly bigger cam.
The single plane and the relatvely mild 222-230deg cam are a mismatch.
Put on a dual plane and its a whole different motor.

The big vortec bowties will make the most power.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If this truck has oversized tires, it will need gears. This is where most truck guys go wrong
when hot rodding heavy trucks 4x4's etc.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Why don't you just supercharge a 350 vortec motor? easy 500+hp
Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
I didnt realize that the marine folks used GEN II engines, that would explain the intake then. That also explains a few other marine setups that I have seen as well.

On a 383 would you go Vortec Bowtie smallport. Fastburn alum., or Vortec Bowtie largeport.
You say that the Fastburns would require porting to equal the largeport heads flow numbers. Is a 383 going to require such flow numbers. Making big torque and power numbers is one thing, but at what rpm will this be happening?
I might as well ask for roller cam recommendations as well. Input?

I have talked to guys who have installed FAstburn heads on 350's and used the Fastburn 383's 222║/230║ cam and found it to be a revvy cam lacking low rpm torque.
Another guy had a couple valve seats fall out of a set of Fastburn heads.

I recently read an article where they took an HT383, added a different roller cam and came up with 460hp, up from the 340hp rating. IIRC the cam was in the 230║-240║ range at 0.050".This was promising and has me wondering if I really even need to look at other heads???

peace
Hog
What RPM do you want your power peak at? What is your redline? Have you decided to run 383ci for sure?

That will determine optimal head size.

likely the large port heads are too big, but they will still work okay even if they are a little oversized. I wouldn't go that route myself but its not a bad option.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

383-388 cubes, peak power 5500-6000, redline 6500 Intake can be changed in future.

Truck runs 4.10 gears with 27" tire, 2800converter(will be changed)

Supercharger no thanks, I dont want more things driven off the crank, way too many L31 have snapped the cranksnout off more my comfort.

PCM tuning isnt an issue.

peace
Hog
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
383-388 cubes, peak power 5500-6000, redline 6500 Intake can be changed in future.

Truck runs 4.10 gears with 27" tire, 2800converter(will be changed)

Supercharger no thanks, I dont want more things driven off the crank, way too many L31 have snapped the cranksnout off more my comfort.

PCM tuning isnt an issue.

peace
Hog
If you change your intake now you have a MUCH better head selection.

225cc ports are too large for that power peak, you need a 210cc or so port like the Fastburn heads, which are actually really good heads but they could use a little clean up, which will cost time or money or both.

The fastburns will easily get you around the 450-475hp mark (assuming you find a decent intake) at 6,000 rpm, but if you want to go over 500 you'll need to get them cleaned up.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
If you change your intake now you have a MUCH better head selection.

225cc ports are too large for that power peak, you need a 210cc or so port like the Fastburn heads, which are actually really good heads but they could use a little clean up, which will cost time or money or both.

The fastburns will easily get you around the 450-475hp mark (assuming you find a decent intake) at 6,000 rpm, but if you want to go over 500 you'll need to get them cleaned up.
What non-Vortec 8 bolt head would you suggest with matching PFI intake?

Hyd. roller cam suggestions? Any sense going with a solid roller cam in this setup? Is maintenace as bad as the solid flat tappet setups?

thanks

peace
Hog
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
What non-Vortec 8 bolt head would you suggest with matching PFI intake?

Hyd. roller cam suggestions? Any sense going with a solid roller cam in this setup? Is maintenace as bad as the solid flat tappet setups?

thanks

peace
Hog
Depends on budget.

The cam wear depends on cam design, lifter choice, oil, and spring choice. A GOOD solid roller combo is NOT cheap. Using GM lifters with a hydraulic cam is a much cheaper option, will have little upkeep, and can produce good power- though solids will always be better. For your application I'd go hyd roller and save the money, but I'm kinda cheap.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Depends on budget.

The cam wear depends on cam design, lifter choice, oil, and spring choice. A GOOD solid roller combo is NOT cheap. Using GM lifters with a hydraulic cam is a much cheaper option, will have little upkeep, and can produce good power- though solids will always be better. For your application I'd go hyd roller and save the money, but I'm kinda cheap.
Budget for heads. Lets say $2500 complete, obviously cheaper is better.

Sounds like hyd roller for this app. then.

thanks

peace
Hog
Old 03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Here's a good set of heads for a 4" bore,
This is my 215cc offering
he also offers these heads,
Pro-Filer ECONO

which are better for a larger bore. Either head is 600+hp capable. For the intake, on a street runner I would run the 7137 Edelbrock intake.

The heads/intake combo would be about 2 grand but then you need injectors, throttle body, fuel rails, etc.

The power comparison compared to a marine intake with fastburn heads isn't even close, BUT you have to invest in a completely new intake manifold system, which isn't cheap.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 AM
Old & Furious

Not sure if this has been mentioned but you can get a good scat 383 kit with rods pistons and crank for about 800 bucks. stuff it in a bored 350 block of any number four bolt prefered but not needed. I use a lot of 010 truck blocks as they are very likley to be four bolt mains.

The lt4 hot cam will limit the power you can make. You want to make more power the lt4 hotcam is one to skip its great for efi in more modern cars but if you can tune get something nasty.

External balance is workable and can be purchased as pre balanced kit with all the parts to make it work. including flexplate and harminic balancer.

THink simple and use a big *** cam it will run. a comp 294s will make close to 500 hp with good compressions and heads in a 383 build.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned but you can get a good scat 383 kit with rods pistons and crank for about 800 bucks. stuff it in a bored 350 block of any number four bolt prefered but not needed. I use a lot of 010 truck blocks as they are very likley to be four bolt mains.

The lt4 hot cam will limit the power you can make. You want to make more power the lt4 hotcam is one to skip its great for efi in more modern cars but if you can tune get something nasty.

External balance is workable and can be purchased as pre balanced kit with all the parts to make it work. including flexplate and harminic balancer.

THink simple and use a big *** cam it will run. a comp 294s will make close to 500 hp with good compressions and heads in a 383 build.
I dont think anyone mentioned the LT4 hotcam, but I agree I wouldnt use it.

Here is the 294S cam you reccomended
Operating Range: 2500-6500 RPM
Duration Advertised: 294░ Intake / 294░ Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 248░ Intake / 248░ Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.5 Rockers: .525'' Intake / .525'' Exhaust
Valve Setting: .022'' Intake / .022'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 110░

Looks like it would work well, but I will be staying away from flat tappet cams.
Anything similar in hyd. roller?

There are some 880 blocks floating around with 4 bolt mains on the 3 center mains.

thanks for the Scat kit info, I like the sounds of getting a kit that has been balanced with the damper and flexplate as a whole.

peace
Hog

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.