Getting body panels ready for primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Getting body panels ready for primer?

I just picked up a set of used fenders and doors for my 78TA. They are still in original paint. I would like to sand them down and get them in primer. I need to buy some dura block, paper and primer. What grade paper should I start with and how fine do I need to go before I spray on the primer? I also need to strip my hood down to bare metal. How do I prep it after its bin sand blasted? Sorry if these are basic questions Iím new to auto body but am a skilled mechanic. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Don't sandblast the hood, it will warp it. You're better off stripping it with paint stripper or use soda blast it. If panels are not damaged and don't need bodywork you can just sand them down with 400wetsand and then epoxy them and paint over epoxy.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:34 AM

Ok I agree with you on the sandblasting. The guy said he was going to use plastic not sand but I read to many threads were people have warped there hoods. So thats out. I'm going to sand down the doors and fenders and epoxy over them like you said. The hood will have to be striped to bare metal. I'm going to use a chemical stripper. Do I still use epoxy primer on the bare metal? When do you use urethane primer? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:20 AM

If I were just stripping one panel, I would just use a DA sander with 80 grit. This may take a little longer than chemicals, but less clean-up time. Strippers can be messy.

1. Clean hood with soap and water to remove all contaminates.
2. Wipe hood off with wax and grease remover to assure all silicone is removed.
3. DA hood with 80 grit until to metal.
4. Once stripped, sand the metal with 180 to minimize the 80 grit scratches.
5. (optional) If there was any body filler, you may need to apply more and block sand. Or fix any dents you find.
6. Blow off and wipe with wax and grease remover.
7. Apply 1 to 2 coats of epoxy primer.
8. Apply 2 to 3 coat of primer surfacer.
9. Apply guide coat.
10. Block sand using 320 grit (this can be a wet or a dry method)
11. If it block out well and there is not guide coat remaining, final sand using 400 to 600 and you are ready for paint.

To sand parts that you are not going to strip.
1. Wash with soap and water.
2. Wipe with wax and grease remover.
3. Final sand using 400 to 600 grit paper.
4. Blow off and wipe with wax and grease remover.
5. Wipe lightly with tack cloth to remove any remaining dirt or dust.
6. Spray 1 to 2 coats of epoxy as a primer sealer.
7. Allow to flash the recommended time. (may vary depending on brand) Brands I use require a 30 minute flash time before applying base and clear.

If there is damage to the other panels, you will have to repair the damaged areas and use primer surfacer on those areas.

If you wait longer than 72 hours after spraying epoxy primer, you will need to lightly scuff the surface with a red scotch-brite to provide adhesion.

I hope this helps. You may also be interested in my prep guide. You can check it out at http://www.*************.com

Last edited by poncho62; 03-18-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

I would opt to skip #4, 80 grit scratch with a DA is perfect for metal IMO
And I would use the 180 for sanding the primer surfacer, in order to get the panel flat at that point of the process, instead of 320, which would be more for smoothing. JMTCW

Last edited by Chevymon; 03-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Sorry for this dumb question but step #8 what do you mean by primer surfacer? Is that the same as 2k primers? Thanks. I think you are right about DAing the hood with 80grit. The guy I brought the car from spray caned over the hood bird and then put another bird decal on top of that! Now I have to strip off two very large decals.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevymon
I would opt to skip #4, 80 grit scratch with a DA is perfect for metal IMO
And I would use the 180 for sanding the primer surfacer, in order to get the panel flat at that point of the process, instead of 320, which would be more for smoothing. JMTCW
If you are block sanding primer surfacer applied over body work I would start with 180 to 220. However, if you are just preparing it for paint, 180 grit is a little coarse for paint. If the hood is in good enough shape after stripping, you may even be able to skip the primer surfacer step and shoot base coat straight over the epoxy. This would not identify or level any lows though. I would go ahead and prime and block it to be safe. If you decide to use 180 be sure to follow that with 320, and then 400 to 600 before painting....or prime again and final sand.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTA
Sorry for this dumb question but step #8 what do you mean by primer surfacer? Is that the same as 2k primers? Thanks. I think you are right about DAing the hood with 80grit. The guy I brought the car from spray caned over the hood bird and then put another bird decal on top of that! Now I have to strip off two very large decals.
Yes, they are the same, and the reason for appling 2K is to level or flatten a panel. If you are not that concerned about flat panels then it could be skipped.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.