getting coleman air compresser - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 02:46 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

getting coleman air compresser

i plan on buying a coleman air compresser from wally mart this weekend. they have 2 both $400 Canadian, the smaller one comes with a impact wrench, tire inflater, basic spray gun, and some other crap. the bigger compresser just comes by itself.

i just looked them up on the coleman website and found them here.

The smaller one is 5peak HP with 15 gallon tank with accesories.
click here

the bigger one that is 6 peak HP with 27 gallon tank with no accesories.click here

looking at the specs, the only differnce is the motor size, tank size and wheight. everything else is the same... what gives? wich would be better to get?

the coleman looks like a good $. if there is somthing better for $400Canadian price please tell. i wont spend much more since im only 16 and got a part time job.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2004, 10:56 PM

In my opinion neither one is worth a damn. I've never seen an oil less compressor that was good for much more than airing up a tire or running an airbrush. The oil less compressors run so hot that very little of water vapor in the air gets a chance to condense in the tank. The result of that is lots of water in your air lines. If that's all you're going to do you might as well save your money and get a $69 pancake compressor from the import tool sales.
If you plan on doing things like running a die grinder or painting you're going to want something that will put out at least 10 cfm @90 psi. The horsepower ratings are very deceptive. That 6 h.p. compressor is more like a 2 h.p. compressor. If it were me I'd hit up the pawn shops ans garage sells and try to find an old 230 volt 5 h.p. oil lubricated compressor. Even if the pump is weak at least they can be rebuilt by just about anyone. I just bought a complete new pump for mine for $160 US.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:04 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

i just want a compressor to pump up tires whenever needed and to just atleast primer my car, probaly only 1 pannel at a time.

i cant use a 230 volt air compressor with a normal plug in can i? im just 16 and i cant afford to get a electrision in or anything.

getting 8 bucks a hour and only getting 1-2 shifts a week i cant get much.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:13 PM

If that's all you're going to do they'll do ok. If you have a sears service center in your town go and check if they have any reconditioned compressors on hand. They usually price them about 1/2 off the new price around here. Last time I was there they had about a dozen with 30 gal. tanks and the same pump as the 6 h.p. compressor you had linked priced at $150-$180 US if I remember correctly.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:16 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

ok cool i will check it out, thanks.

i dont know how the air guns work, when u say the oil less air compressers get hot and get air in the lines.... does that mix in with the paint? thanks again
Old 05-25-2004, 11:54 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If you have a Princess Auto in your area, they have good deals on compressors.

http://www.princessauto.com/PAcountr...Y=CAN&INF=home
Old 05-26-2004, 03:06 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

hey poncho thanks for replying. got a princess auto across the city, i will look into it.

just browsing the coleman website i see they have a Water & Oil Separator for $10, would that be worth getting also?

Removes water and oil particles from air line
Attaches in-line
1/4" NPT
Manual bowl drain
Use with all pneumatic tools and spray guns

Also can primer be aplied with a cheap basic gun? or is it best to have automotive spray gun?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by montea
hey poncho thanks for replying. got a princess auto across the city, i will look into it.

just browsing the coleman website i see they have a Water & Oil Separator for $10, would that be worth getting also?

Removes water and oil particles from air line
Attaches in-line
1/4" NPT
Manual bowl drain
Use with all pneumatic tools and spray guns

Also can primer be aplied with a cheap basic gun? or is it best to have automotive spray gun?
that looks like a last chance filter to me. You attach it righ on the spray gun. You still would need a regular filter. Even with a full size filter you need to put 10 or feet of pipe or hose between the compressor and filter or the water will go right through it.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:57 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

i just got a canadian tire flyer today and they got a air compressor on sale for $200

:

Mastercraft Dolly Compressor
2HP peak, 5 gallon, Direct-drive, oil lubricated compressor
Unique fully enclosed design
125 maximum PSI
5.0 SCFM at 40 PSI, 4.0 SCFM at 90 PSI
3,450 RPM induction motor
18-piece accessory kit includes inflating nozzles, connectors, blow gun, 25' coil hose and more
Top-mounted storage compartment
Front-mounted control panel
Protective roll bar
Hose wrap storage
For use with nailer, impact hammer, air rachet and spray gun

how would that be for primering and possibly painting, even 1 pannel at a time. oil lubricated would make the air stay dry too right? please tell me your thoughts... if its any good ill pick it up tommarow or saturday
Old 05-28-2004, 01:16 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

i know it's more than you were barganing for but i got a Coleman 60 gal 7hp deal from princess auto for 599 CDN, and it runs out of air fairly quick while doing much of anything other than zapping off bolts with the impact.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:25 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

I made the mistake of buying the kit combo. the impact gun is around 200ft.lbs (sucks).the spray gun may spray oil base deck stain but not good for much else.the air hose burst a week into ownership.
when the air hose burst i took it in for service as there was (HOT) air coming out.the guy at the srevice depot told me there was 150 of these compressors built with no heat riser(a tube wich puts the compressed air to the bottom of the tank so it cools before rising to the outlet.)the tube was in the states(they never shipped any of the 50 cent tubes to the repair centers).and i got to wait for this part for 6 weeks.
the compressors put out by these people are garbage.the impact gun should be 1/4 inch drive, the spray gun is good for models.the quick connects only fit their disconnects. the hose is that stiff you cannot unroll it in winter.
i've owned this compressor for about a year, it was repaired twice(12 weeks not working)and for the last 6 months the regulator won't shut off and it leaks air while filling the tank.
i have gone back (long ago)to using my 20 year old sears belt drive.
they were already sued for lying about h.p. and lost(no restitution tho)it's 5 h.p. that runs on a 15 amp fuse. my 2 hp sears can run on a 25 amp but will pop it once in a while. it really needs a thirty amp.
go to the pawn shops and yard sales and get an old belt drive, i wish i did.mikeny
Old 05-29-2004, 07:18 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The oil-less compressors are extremely loud. As said, they get real hot and you get alot of moisture in the hoses. I have one that I bought a few years ago, when my big one burned up. My main concern was that we needed a small one for at the race track. At home, I had to hook it up to the tank on the big one to have enough air to do anything. I then had to take a break every so often to wait for it to refill the tank. I had 2 water filters on it, and had to drain them constantly. I even used a fan to cool the compressor when it was running.

They are OK for outside, like at the track, to fill tires, but wouldn't buy another one.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:29 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

ok well i went to candian tire and bought the air compressor there that was on sale for $200

im shure it will be fine for primering 1 pannel at a time heh?

i was thinking maybe.... how hard would it be to install a bigger tank on it?
Old 05-29-2004, 10:31 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

well i been just playing around with the air compressor with the tire inflator and air nozzle. fills up tires in about half the time as it took at the gas station.

after running it for 15-20 mins i shut it down and empty the tank and it driped out a couple drips of water.

how much water vapour is too much? how much does a filter help?

maybe that blue cover should be removed to let the engine breath better and not get so hot?
Old 05-30-2004, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by montea
well i been just playing around with the air compressor with the tire inflator and air nozzle. fills up tires in about half the time as it took at the gas station.

after running it for 15-20 mins i shut it down and empty the tank and it driped out a couple drips of water.

how much water vapour is too much? how much does a filter help?

maybe that blue cover should be removed to let the engine breath better and not get so hot?
The amount of water that you'll get will depend apon the humidity and how long you're going to have it run. I would not take off the cover. most likely it forms the duct for the fan and it won't cool as well without it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.