Getting excessive dust/dirt in the paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Getting excessive dust/dirt in the paint

I have a homemade booth in my basement that pulls air in from the outside and blows it out to the outside. I have furnace filters on each fan. The inside of the tent is fairly air tight with all new plastic laid down. I even wear a full white painting suit. My problem is that Im still getting a piece of dirt every 6" or so that I have to wet sand out. I have a little water/oil filter inline on my air hose. But not one of those larger filters that hook up to the output on the compressor. So my question is, could dirt be getting through my gun because of lack of filtration? It's just really annoying every time I paint since the paint lays perfectly flat and I shouldnt even need to wet sand but have to because of the dust/dirt.

Thanks for any suggestions.

j

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You need the larger filter and with the plastic there can be stuff that falls off of it..bits of dirt in the paint can be caused by water in the lines as well as the water drops will react with the paint and leave a "dirt speck"..that may be the issue..Mount the air/water separator as far from the compressor as possible and use metal line between the compressor and air/water separator..Keep the hose as short as reasonable from the wall to the gun..

Place both fans at one end of the booth so they act to blow in to the booth and just a filter at the other end..this acts to pressurize the booth so any dust leaks are blown out rather than sucked in..Keep the air velocity low as fast moving air stirs up any dust.

Just a few ideas on paint booth design..

Sam
Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Tell the kids to stop running around upstairs! Seriously

Also, I would ditch the fan blowing in, that just stirs up the dust.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:58 AM

That would make sense. Im using a 25' hose from the compressor and have the filter attached on the line just before my paint gun, but I've notice the last couple times I've painted, no water or anything has collected into the filter. I wonder if the cheap little Harbor Freight filter is already trashed.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 PM

Well, i tried painting today and pretty much got the same results. I installed a new filter just before the gun. I guess I have lots of wet sanding in my future.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 PM

I've got a kobalt inline filter with hard line attached to compressor. Do I still need a water filter or are those compressor filters air/water? Also what I was thinking about to build a paint booth was to cover everything but the floor with plastic and on one side install a good furnace filter in the plastic and then put 2 20" square fans in the 2 garage windows blowing out. This should work right? as in theory it will blow out all the bad air and suck in fresh air.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahotrod
I have a homemade booth in my basement that pulls air in from the outside and blows it out to the outside. I have furnace filters on each fan. The inside of the tent is fairly air tight with all new plastic laid down. I even wear a full white painting suit. My problem is that Im still getting a piece of dirt every 6" or so that I have to wet sand out. I have a little water/oil filter inline on my air hose. But not one of those larger filters that hook up to the output on the compressor. So my question is, could dirt be getting through my gun because of lack of filtration? It's just really annoying every time I paint since the paint lays perfectly flat and I shouldnt even need to wet sand but have to because of the dust/dirt.

Thanks for any suggestions.

j
Many times when you have this problem It is caused from the Car having lint on it already
Are you cleaning with Prep ? using a tack cloth and then blowing off the surface before you paint ?
52F1
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

A dumb one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavetim
I've got a kobalt inline filter with hard line attached to compressor. Do I still need a water filter or are those compressor filters air/water? Also what I was thinking about to build a paint booth was to cover everything but the floor with plastic and on one side install a good furnace filter in the plastic and then put 2 20" square fans in the 2 garage windows blowing out. This should work right? as in theory it will blow out all the bad air and suck in fresh air.
A dumb one. What is the 'hard line'? - A filter, type of airline, an anti static line etc?
Thanks G
Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 PM

hard line --iron pipe or riged plastic--streight copper-- you dont want waves or sags in the line -- have it fall slightly toward your water trap-inline filter-
Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 AM

Last photo:

Re Hard Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich27028
hard line --iron pipe or riged plastic--streight copper-- you dont want waves or sags in the line -- have it fall slightly toward your water trap-inline filter-

Why? Is that to stop particle buildup.
My line runs from ground level to 3m high (over pasage) then back down into booth.Then whats left is coiled and then a Coalescent filter 3m from gun. Booth is self contained small building - air tight, compressor is outdoors. I could relocate the compressor to have it set as a hard line , but what effect does this hardline approach have ?
Thanks G
Old 04-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Having a significant amount of "hardline" metal pipe between the compressor and water trap allows the air to cool before it gets to the trap..this allows the water to condense and then the water trap can do its job..i have about 40 feet of metal pipe running overhead and then I have two..yup two water traps in series and then a toilet paper filter after that to pick up any moisture that may be in the lines..

the dirt problem may not be dirt..it may be water as water will combine with the iso's in the paint to make little particles that look like dirt specs in the paint..Minor tech point but a biggie if you are the guy that has to fix it..

Sam

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.