Hot Rod Forum banner

Getting gas in oil

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  k2mooch 
#1 ·
I'm having yet another problem. I keep getting gas in my oil somehow. I first thought it was the fuel pump. I had a new holley mechanical street fuel pump on it and switched back to the stock pump - same problem, still getting fuel in oil (about 2-3 quarts per 30minutes of run time) Could it be my carb? (New Speed Demon 650 vac. secondaries) It is running rich but its' not bad enough to not even start or anything. Thats a lot of fuel to be dumping past my rings. If ya'll think it's my carb - do you have any suggestions for this novice on how to lean it out? I'm not too farmiliar with Demons- any experts? Thanx for the help - you guys rock:welcome:

#3 ·
FUEL

Wow 3 quarts in 30 minutes....... I don't even know that you could keep the motor running with that much fuel leaking through the carb?????? But i guess is possible.
There is always the slim chance that both pumps are bad......

I just had a problem with a customers car that had a demon carb on it. We found a few things wrong one of them was the power valve block off on the secondary side was loose and it was sucking fuel around the gasket. You may want to take the primary fuel bowl off and check the power valve and the gasket sealing.....

Run the car up to temp and then remove the carb. Sit the carb on a stand and see if you can see any places where fuel is running from the bottom of the carb.. Also look at you mounting gasket and see if it looks really wet any place.

Oh yea make sure you keep getting the contaminated oil out right away!!!!!!!

Keith

#4 ·
Both pumps got to be bad or you have a bad gasket.
Even if the carb was leaking that badly how would you guess it got into the crankcase? If the engine ran so rich to contaminate the oil from ring wash it would at the very least show up on the wet plugs. I doubt it would even run that rich!

#6 ·
Got to be going through the pump.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#7 ·
The pump that was on it was a brand new Holley mechanical = that is when I discovered my problem. I swithched it back to the stock mechanical fuel pump that I had on my old motor and still the same thing. The stock pump wasn't bad when I took it off.

#8 ·
Someone must be sneaking around pouring gas in the grankcase.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#9 · (Edited)
leak

Test it with a block plate and temporarly Hook up an electric Pump, see if the problem goes away. (don't forget the rod)

BTW, If you get a backfire or otherwise ignite it with that much fuel in the CC , It's not just a job...It's an adventure... oil caps and dipsticks make good projectiles...

Doc
:pimp:

#10 ·
Reminds me of an ex-neighbor. He poured gasoline and ether into this poor old 413 Chrysler for three days, trying to get it to start. He finally put in a new set of points, when he hit the key. BANG!!!!! you could hear it for miles. Blew off both valve covers, valley cover and oil pan. I laughed for weeks!!!.

#11 ·
Fallout...

Doc here:pimp:

Bob,

I hear ya!

I had a 32 B Ford with a V8~60 Flathead in it We acquired from some farmer's field that has sat for years, Got the Crankcase full of gas somehow. After some work on it to get it to run I hit the Starter.... BLAM!

The Garage was Over the front room in that house... Blew off both oil caps and sent them ricocheting all around the garage... Shot the Dipstick straight up and sent it through the Sheetrock and was stopped by the Oak living room floor...

Gaskets??...We Don't Need No Stinkin' Gaskets.....

Had a New Found respect For That old Bic pen Commercial where they Shot A pen out a 30-30 into a 1/2 piece of OAK....

Doc
:pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.