Getting a good exhaust note. Flowmaster Mufflers question also. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 05:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Getting a good exhaust note. Flowmaster Mufflers question also.

Hi, being in located in Australian, We dont see much of Flowmaster Muffler Products, but through Hot Rod mag's and so on, I have heard so many good things about them.

Because there are a fully imported product here, you would pay around $250 each Aust for a Muffler, so I want to make sure there going to give the sound I'm after.

So I was hopping all you guy's could offer some advice and notes on what sort of sound I would get.

I have a 302 Ford Cleveland engine, that I plane to make a 351. I have a twin 2.5" system with a X Pipe on it, and a set of wide body (just longer and larger than normal size) straight through mufflers on it.

I am wanting to get that classic American Muscle Car sound, and I have heard and read so much stuff about Flowmaster mufflers.

I have just seen the new Starsky and Hutch Movie, and read that it has a set of Flowmaster Mufflers on the 351 Windsor in the Torino. That's the sound I'm after! Thats to me sounds just like what I'm after. And I also read that, that was the car used for all the sounds in the movie. They spent 8hrs Recording it becuase it sounded so good!

I was wondering would anyone that has them be able to offer advice as to what type and model of Mufflers that car would most likly had on them? And any advice as to how else I could get that sound I'm after.

Thanks so much for any info you can offer.

Kind regards,
Francis.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 06:18 AM
brains

Last photo:

I think the sound your looking for is with the "40 series delta flow". I know a few guys with mustangs running 351w with the 40 series, they sound great.

Ben
Old 04-12-2004, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

I would say yes to the 40 series but no to the delta series. You want that muscle car sound with interior resonance?? Don't get the delta flow, they were designed to cut the rumble and interior resonance way down.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:59 PM
brains

Last photo:

hehehe well we have you going in thr right direction at least now.

By the way you said your in australia, which way to the toilets turn when you flush them?

Good luck
Old 04-12-2004, 09:46 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

hey brainsboy

Up in nortrn Minn vee drop von an' vee kount vonn, vee kount doo, vee kount tree, if shhe hit dee bootom now she be deep enouff. There be no vrotation, youst dee tumble. haha LOL
bentwings
Old 04-12-2004, 11:29 PM

Thanks heaps everyone who has help so far.

With the 40 series is it a case of there going to be way to loud?

I dont mind a bit of noise in the interior, after all I want to here the note too! But I would hate it to be so over the top loud, that the Cops are going to be on my back every time I go for a drive.

(And I think they flush from the font going to the back.)
Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Francis
Thanks heaps everyone who has help so far.

With the 40 series is it a case of there going to be way to loud?

I dont mind a bit of noise in the interior, after all I want to here the note too! But I would hate it to be so over the top loud, that the Cops are going to be on my back every time I go for a drive.

(And I think they flush from the font going to the back.)

No, it will be fine. Stay away from the all out race muffler Flowmaster puts out, it is a single chamber that will attract cops, guaranteed. The 40 series is a 2 champber muffler, you will love it!!!!

By the way, where you position your exhaust tips has a lot to do with sound too. Out the sides or back will be quiter than turned down behind the mufflers!!!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:58 AM

Last photo:

www.exhaustsoundclips.com might be of help. There are some other similar sites around, but this is the only one I can remember. Keep in mind that catalysts (either on your car or on the one in the clip) will cut the noise down quite a bit.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally posted by 69elcaminoss
I would say yes to the 40 series but no to the delta series. You want that muscle car sound with interior resonance?? Don't get the delta flow, they were designed to cut the rumble and interior resonance way down.
what's interior resonance? Wjat series is qiuetest, and loudest, and in between? Oh, the wide world of cars.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:46 AM

I have a 408bbc in a '68 Chevelle w/ headers, two 2-chamber delta series flowmasters, no cats and 3" torque tech dual exhaust system exiting out the back. I like a throatyexhaust note as much as the next guy but this is too much for me. I am considering switching over to the 3-chamber flowmasters to quiet things down a bit. Interior resonance is still very loud. Though I did have a 350 sbc in the same car/same exhaust and was much quieter...probably not loud enough. I think cats will make a huge difference as well as the engine you run and how much hp you have.

Do you have any friends here in the U.S. that could buy and send you the mufflers cheaper than 250 bucks or would the shipping be even more? Just curious.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:17 AM

I had the same problem , just like you in my 67 firebird .

my engine is a rebuild 428 and the trouble was it wasnt loud enough . I went from stock dual . to headers and 2 1/2 inch
all the way to the back . I paid $ 200 for aluminum pipes ,

I already had some flows , but where the old style flows ( 50 series )

My friends car that had a 350 was louder . Mine sounded to tamed . So I went back to the shop and told theim my problem ,

They recomended me to go with 40- series and considering turn downs in the middle . Well guess what I tried that

still wasnt loud like I wanted to . So then they recomended me
to go with ( 3 inch. exh. ) with turn downs ...

Boy it was the best.. I can set off alarm half a mile away . also
it brought out the beast out of my engine ..It breaths better . try the 40 .. now they have Super 40's check those out .. supposed to be louder than the plain 40s .. hope this helps
Old 04-14-2004, 08:33 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Francis,

I don't know if you checked it out alreadry but the Flowmaster web site has sound bites of various cars with various Flowmasters hooked up.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster
Old 04-14-2004, 08:43 PM

Thanks again everyone, I reckon the 40 Series sounds just like what I'm after! I cant wait to get a set!

No I don't have anyone in the States I could ask, but if there is no one in Aust importing them anymore I would be happy to order direct but, the biggest problem so far is that Flowmaster don't have an email address I can email to to ask who I should contact in Aust as to there agent here, or even how much going direct and freight would be.

If anyone knows of an email address to get hold of them could you please let me know. I know they have the Tech line number, but tying to figure out the time differences and all the other numbers you have to dial to get the right area codes and so on, just to find out who the Australian agent is!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:27 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

order stuff

you should be able to order this stuff right from Summit, Jeggs Speedway or any of the other large mail order places. You can view their cat. online I'm sure the tax/import thing is taken care of to please everyone but you unfortunately.
good luck.

'eh are there any mech engineering jobs over there?? Have calculator ...will travel....anywhere LOL

bentwings

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.