Getting more power from my stock pontiac 400 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Getting more power from my stock pontiac 400

I got a 76 transam I just got it going again I bought it awhile back it was stored in a barn. I just recently put a ram air system on it the car is automatic I know theres a lot that can be done but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions that I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iparra76
I got a 76 transam I just got it going again I bought it awhile back it was stored in a barn. I just recently put a ram air system on it the car is automatic I know theres a lot that can be done but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions that I can do?
If you're looking for more power, be careful. In early 1975 (mid year '75 casting) 400 Pontiac blocks were cast with thinner main webbing and These blocks all had the 500557 casting number. The main webbing was prone to cracking/breaking with higher RPM and/or horsepower usage. The block casting number can be found on the lip of the block behind and below the passenger side head.

Bill

Last edited by WDCreech; 03-03-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by iparra76
Run the numbers to be sure of the engine displacement- it could easily be a 350, 400 or 455 and could even be other displacement Pontiac engines, but less likely. There were even Olds 403s installed '77-'79.

Depending on what heads are on it (they also need to be checked, the number is on the center exhaust ports). Head codes and secondary identifier info HERE. Just be aware the chambers need to be CC'd to know for sure what the volume is, don't rely on ANY published figures.

You can benefit from headers and dual exhaust, rear gears, and a mild cam. Unless you're going to cam this engine up pretty good, the stock intake will work fine- but it is heavy. I'd keep the Q-jet, too.

There are quite a few threads here at Hotrodders, you can use the search to find them. Some Pontiac sites HERE.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM

First things first. Get "educated" in the ol' Injun.

Jim Hand's "How to Build Max-performance Pontiac V8s", published by SA Designs. This is the most current study of the Pontiac engine. In it are the "history", dispelling many myths about the engine, how to approach a durable shortblock, good "home" porting information, trends in camming, manifolding, etc., and an excellent chapter on the Q-Jet. Some of the info is a bit dated now (2004) but overall it's still very good. Once you've read this book, get back to us!

Jim
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Correct me here, but are you not 'Jim Hand'?

Anyway, another book you might learn something from is How to Rebuild Pontiac V-8s (Workbench) by Rocky Rotella
http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Po...0886588&sr=1-1
Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM

No I'm not Jim Hand haha

And thanks guys ill look at the numbers before I do anything I want to make sure the motor can handle the power.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 AM

Nope, not Jim Hand. Jim is a retired phone company worker from Kansas City area. He raced his wagon for many years, collecting every "scrap" of data, and used that as a basis for his findings.

I am Jim Lehart. I'm an ASE "Past Master" engine builder with about 35 years "in the business". I wrote chapter 2 "Building Your Shortblock" in Jim's book.

I've only seen exerpts from Rocky's book. It appears to be a "step by step" assembly manual for the uninitiated. There are rumors that he's working on an "update" to Jim's book. However, only one or two of the "original players" have been contacted about the updates, so it's value has yet to be determined. There's been a "polarizing rift" in the Pontiac "world" since the book was first published. NONE of these books are "aimed" at racers, but street performance.

Jim

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.