Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Getting ready for new oil pan gasket....
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
I don't know what pans you guys are using on what engines but I have never had a leak with plain oil resistant RTV smeared on each side of the gasket.

I've never scuffed the pan, I just make sure the block and pan are clean. And DON'T crank the hell out of the bolts. just get them snug.

I really don't understand how you guys are having trouble with something that I really give little attention to and have never had a problem on any engine I've done, 4, 6, 8, single cylinder, cast or stamped pans, etc. never a problem with just a clean surface and oil resistant RTV.

To be honest I've even done a few with no gasket and JUST rtv and had no problems, but I would recommend using a gasket if you have one, especially on a sbc where there's a considerable gap on the front and rear.

Any Chrome pan,, You may have got lucky... But I have fixed many CHROME pans that leak because the lip won't seal,,, You keep on doing it the way you do it.. If that's what's working for YOU... Passing this on to someone will save someone the pain from a leak later.. What does it hurt to do something right the first time..

It's like painting over your clear coat without sanding it first...