Getting Ready to Order, quantity question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 01:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Getting Ready to Order, quantity question

I am getting ready to order some primer and clear, and I plan on quizzing the place I am ordering from a bit, but I also like to have a good idea ahead of time, and I haven't been able to get a clear picture on how much to order. Some places I have seen say twice as much as others.

I am doing a VW Beetle complete. I will be doing the jambs also. This is a basic everyday driver.

Am I on the right track or not enough or ??

1 qt of epoxy primer with 1 qt activator (2 qts spray-able)
2 qts of 2K primer, 1 pt activator (2 qt spray-able)
3/4 gallon of clear, 1 qt activator, 1 qt reducer (5 qts spray-able)

I haven't decided on brand, exact color yet, but I am thinking a quart of sealer, and 2 quarts of color?

Also, I am guessing that especially since I am a newbie, I will want a high build 2K, but when would you want a regular build over a high build?

Thanks in Advance for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 03:17 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Southern Poly Urethanes

Go to www.southernpolyuethanes.com the owner is BarryK on this baord. They have all the products u need at affordable prices, plus you will be getting a great product to boot. I have yet to use them, however on my next project I am going to!! If you are looking for a cheaper route you can always look at www.smartshoppersinc.com, you will find most anything you want, but not the name brands you are accustomed to seeing either. I have had very good success with allot of their products, but I know better is out there for more money...

As far as the amounts, I like to buy gallons of most things... clears last for years and years, bases last as long as you dont have to much air in the can, primer on the other hand I have seen go bad in a year to 2 years no matter what size it sets in.

Epoxy is the craze nowdays, are you going to bare metal?? If so then an expoxy overall would be great and you can do your bodywork right over it and apply the 2k over that. Since your new, I would go with the high build primer it is more forgiving and fills nicely.... If you have allot of waves then I think a polyester primer would make it easier for you too.. Lots and lots of info I know..

Im sure more will chime in here

Matthew
Old 05-18-2005, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Thanks BondoKing.

I was planning on going to Southern Poly for what I had listed out there.

I know I don't want to order too little, but I really don't plan on painting anything again for years, so I don't want a bunch of material laying around going bad.

To be honest, I have been out of the car scene for about 15 years, and had a little sticker shock when I started checking into prices. (here is my some pics from my prior life <g> ... be forewarned, this was a old free site that I haven't maintained for years, and it uses popup adds http://kwik-mcad.scriptmania.com/cgi...DragRacing.htm)

That other site the prices seem a little too low. Is the quality OK with it? Anybody done a job with the brands they sell and did it turn out OK?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:51 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

smart shoppers

Love the pics, that had to be a fun ride... About smart shoppers, I have used their stuff since I was 18, I took a 5-6 yr break from this and when I returned they had become a much better store than in the past. I have used their 2k primer never had one problem, as matter a fact just used it on the car I am finishing up. JClark on this board has used Kirker's epoxy for years and never had any problems he told me, however he did say that he has had allot of problems out of the Marhyde line of reducer... I have not really, however since he switched to a name brand reducer his solvent pop problems and what not are gone.

They carry HOK line too. That is on the up and up. They carry all HOK stuff if you want it.

They also carry an American Finishes Clear coat that is outstanding ( it is made by PPG).. I am not trying to push their website or anything, I just have a store 15 minutes from my house and have used allot of their stuff.... The clear lays down like butter and flows out like high end clear.

So I would stay away from their reducer since JC told me he had lots of problems and traced it back to that stuff. When mine is gone ( plan on using it for primer ) I will not buy anymore.

They carry some super cheap junk and that is what i will call it. I think they sell some enamel paint kits.... a whole paint job for like 50 bucks or something... well whatever, I guarantee that would probably look like poo when you shot it and/or would not hold up long.

One last thing regarding that clear I mentioned. It reminds me of PPG's concept clear... I used to love that 2002 concept clear!!!

I have used an economy line b4 from Martin Senior back 7 years ago, and it did not hold up well at all and cost as much or more than the American Finishes clear. I have also used Everclear b4 and while it is economical and does a decent job, still does not match that AF line of clear. Hope this helps a little

Matthew
Old 05-18-2005, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

Are you planning to strip the car or just fix a few things and repaint? The difference in amount of materials needed will be great. Those are some really cool pics! Looks like early eighties? That must have been quite a ride!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

BondoKing
I will have to look over smartshoppers inc, more when I get a chance. I took a quick look and I didn't see any paint colors I liked other than the HOK stuff.

Baddbob
The Beetle had already had one complete paint job sometime before I got it. I have sanded to where I am anywhere between half through the original color, or down to metal depending on if there was rust etc. I would say maybe 15% will be bare metal by the time I am done. The car was orange, and we are going to paint it orange again, but probably not the stock color.

The race car was a blast, but between racing politics and a couple of kids, I had to get out of it.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

If you're down to bare metal on 15% of the car I think it would be best to epoxy the entire exterior then apply your urethane surfacer. 3 quarts of ready to spray epoxy should get you around it twice, then you'll want 2-3 coats of surfacer which should take 4-5 quarts of ready to spray depending on how thick the primer is- the thicker the primer the thicker the coats will be and the less square foot of coverage you'll get. Buy a gallon of clear IMO- you don't want to run out. Check out SPI and talk to BarryK

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.