Getting ready to wire up the Fordillac... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Getting ready to wire up the Fordillac...

...using linen wrapped wiring from Rhode Island Wire. My question is: What's a good source for a simple, generic diagram? I went thru the files here and didn't see a generic diagram (maybe my search skills are poor!), and also did quick Google without much help.

I feel a little dumb asking, 'cause it's going to be very simple. I'm using a one wire alternator, the engine is Cad 472, and I don't want want to have a situation where I wire it all pretty, and have the coil stay hot after it starts or some wierd thing like that. I'm using a simple, Tractor Supply ign. switch, push button starter switch, '51 Pontiac headlight switch and fuse block, floor dimmer, and an aftermarket old style column blinker switch. I shouldn't feel intimidated, but my last half dozen builds I've just used the entire harness from the donor mobile. I have the Cad's original alternator, but figured a new one wire would be simpler, and eliminate a separate regulator. It's also 1968 vintage...I'm using '37 Ford four gauge cluster with the ammeter too, and considered having it converted to voltmeter, but since it's all new stuff, I'm not worried about it (too much!).

Incidentally, R.I. is a great source for wire and supplies, I also have linen wrapped plug wire coming.

Advertisement

Last edited by flynbrian48; 02-06-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM
It's a dry cold.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrian48
.... What's a good source for a simple, generic diagram? I'm went thru the files here and didn't see a generic diagram ....
Someone just posted an American Autowire Hwy 15 wiring diagram on another thread in this forum:
new wire harness. installing killswitches now

Quote:
I'm using...'51 Pontiac headlight switch and fuse block, floor dimmer, and an aftermarket old style column blinker switch.....
If you could find a '51 Pontiac wiring diagram, it might tell you all you need to know. I looked, but I can't find one.....sorry.

Quote:
Incidentally, R.I. is a great source for wire and supplies, I also have linen wrapped plug wire coming.
They certainly are. They are my favorite source for cloth covered wiring.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, I'll look again for that thread. The headlight sw. and so on I'm not worried about, and I feel sort of foolish not being confident enough in my wiring skills to wire up the rest, but I've known several guys who have wired up their projects, fired 'em up and had to unhook the battery to shut 'em off the first time . Trying to aviod that emabarrasment!

If I hadn't sold the (brand new) Rhode Island '51 Pontiac harness that came with my wagon project when I bought it, I'd have everything, all done! Just goes to show, I should never get rid of anything...
Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

That's what I needed! Can't believe I didn't see it, as HUGE as the pics are! I saved 'em to a file.

Brian

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.