getting real paint on my camaro - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i get to order my paint and primer tommorow yay.
anyway my wifes brother in law comes by today while im working ont he car and he goes u know u should just leave the car like it is and clear it , he was like noone would expect that thing to have a twin turbo engine under the hood looking like that.

anyways i just laughed and was like no friggen way, though i will admit if i was still younger and street raced before i had half a brain it wouldnt be a bad idea

anyways i have alot of work to do but im excited car goes in for the epoxy primer in 19 days

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

well i ordered up spme proper sanding blocks and other supplys along with my primer and related stuff

after putting time in this and buying supplies i can now understand why body shops do get so much for painting a car

btw this is how the blue pearl should come out right ?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

If it pretty near to glows as the light hits it...yes. Pearl is a neat effect.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Project89;1688320]well i ordered up spme proper sanding blocks and other supplys along with my primer and related stuff

after putting time in this and buying supplies i can now understand why body shops do get so much for painting a car
Most people do have to find out the hard way of all the labor involved to do a full show quailty paintjob, we really are not money hungry theives most of us do really earn every single penny.LOL.......
Old 06-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Project89;1688320]well i ordered up spme proper sanding blocks and other supplys along with my primer and related stuff

btw this is how the blue pearl should come out right ?

That is the way the pearl will look...it will be a little darker, but very much like what you see in the picture.

Ray
Old 06-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys , its been hell here the past few days , 110-115* most of the week, i havent even thought about touching the car due to the heat.

it should cool down some this week and im praying it does as the car is schedualed for primer 12 days from today and i have a ton of work left to do
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

grr this is frustrating , didnt relize summit shipped me 2 boxes , one from ga / and the other from nevada , of course i get the first box today expecting my bumper stripper but nope thats in the box comming from ga so that wont be here till friday

on the other hand i did get my sanding blocks and other supplies in so ill start striping the bumper by hand for now .

if i do manage to get it fully stripped before my 2 cans of bumper stripper gets here , can i use that stuff on the body of the car ?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

ugh 8 days before the car goes for primer and i have about 2 weeks worth of work left

atleast his weekend i have 3-4 friends coming over to help me pull out the interior, headlights,parking lights , window /door and trunk seals , and the inner wheel wells

hopefully this will save me enough time i can finish preping the body for paint

what r u guys using for washing the body of the car off before spraying anything special? will i need tack rags for primer? how about anything else

ttuesday ill be picking up any thing else i need to spray the primer on friday/saturday
Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I use a high quality wax and grease remover, let it dry, go over the car (Bare metal only) with 80 grit on a DA, wax and grease remover again and primer. Do this just before you prime the car...the moisture in the air will start the rust process quickly and sanding the bare metal areas on the car will remove the surface rust. Then tack the car.

Ray
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

i dont think ill have that issue here considering how dry it is ,but i will sand the bare metal spots after washing it , hell it rained on my car last week and theres 0 surface rust forming on the bare metal

btw when the camaro is done my truck is getting a matching paint job, i think im going to hold off till late fall to do the truck though, these 105-112* days have been kicking my butt lately
Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

well i got a nice surprise today, i forgot my bumper stripper was supposed to show up today , they just dropped it off.

though i almost have them stripped by hand now , quess i can use the stuff on the roof and save some time/elbow grease
Old 07-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

that paint stripper work great, went home for lunch and tried some out , as long a i went over the surface with some 80 or 120 grit before hand it worked perfectly took the paint right off down to the factory primer within 30 seconds. bet part is it wiped right off with a rag.

next time i have to strip a car im going to go the chemical stripper route ,actually once the camaro done the truck i getting painted to match so ill use it on that
Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Excellent, just make sure that all of the chemical is off, use Wax & Grease remover to clean it off...and especially on plastics, let the W & G completely dry before priming...on metal, the same thing, make sure all the chemical is off.

Ray
Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Excellent, just make sure that all of the chemical is off, use Wax & Grease remover to clean it off...and especially on plastics, let the W & G completely dry before priming...on metal, the same thing, make sure all the chemical is off.

Ray
how much w&g remover do i need , napa has it for 23$'s a quart
and which tape do u guys prefer for masking stuff off with , i have to pick up that stuff and related stuff on tuesday locally before i take the car over to my friends on friday
Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

btw took these the other day, on of my niebors came over to check out the car and asked me to fire it up

IMG 2874 - YouTube
"> IMG 2874 - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

IMG 2873 - YouTube
"> IMG 2873 - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.