getting real paint on my camaro - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

By the looks of the vehicle, you seem to have a fairly straight car that requires a minimal of body work, that's great! If I can offer a little advice, your at the point now where you now need to focus and concentrate on getting one panel prepped at a time.

A fairly common mistake is to jump from one panel to the next without completely finishing any one panel and often (I'm not saying in your case) the car takes a lot longer than it needs to to get done. Much like blocking a vehicle, I try and focus on one panel at a time (wherever possible) especially when it comes to final sanding/blocking...it's amazing how much more you can get done.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
By the looks of the vehicle, you seem to have a fairly straight car that requires a minimal of body work, that's great! If I can offer a little advice, your at the point now where you now need to focus and concentrate on getting one panel prepped at a time.

A fairly common mistake is to jump from one panel to the next without completely finishing any one panel and often (I'm not saying in your case) the car takes a lot longer than it needs to to get done. Much like blocking a vehicle, I try and focus on one panel at a time (wherever possible) especially when it comes to final sanding/blocking...it's amazing how much more you can get done.

Ray

thanks and yes i started jumping around a lil bit , but thats due to my back injury sometimes i just need to move and stand up or change positions.

so far ive gotem one qaurter fully preped , and almost done on the other , just had to take a break as theres no shade left at all and its just to dam hot out right now

prolly start back up on it around 5 ish

and yes the da was useless with the compressor i have
Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

By my experience with epoxy on bare metal, tech sheets say 80 grit scratches are as fine as you want to go.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34 View Post
By my experience with epoxy on bare metal, tech sheets say 80 grit scratches are as fine as you want to go.
thanks thats what i thought was said before just wanted to make sure , ive been block sanding the panels with 80 grit paper , think im actually down to my last sheet , have to dblo check and so i can pick up a new pack of paper before the stores close.

my town sucks by 6pm everything is closed down, hell u cant even get a pizza after 8pm , by 8:30 the town is a total ghost town lol

last question is about the spot putty/glaze i got for some small lil dings what is the thickest amount u should do 1/16th etc just want to make sure i use body filler in those minor dings instead fo spot putty if they are to deep
Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Dont forget.......Safty first....
U know I saw this post yesterday and picked up a pack of dust masks. Guess were they sat all day today.........in my truck gee good place for them
Just looked at myself in the mirror and I'm grey head to toe.
Well can't be any worse hen the cigarets I smoke.

Anyways. I got some pics were I'm stopping for the night. Prolly around 90% ready for primer. Got a lil bit of paint to still sand a and some body filler work. But my friend who is spraying the car told me not to worry about it and when I get the car there friday he will help me finish and we will prime it Saturday

Ill upload some Pics in a bit I'm using my phone right now and for some reason I can't upload from it

And thanks again for all the help specially u 69widetrack if it wasn't for u guys I'd have been screwing this up big time.

Can't wait to see the car with even just the black primer on it
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

make sure those dust masks are N or P95, otherwise they aren't doing much for you.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
U know I saw this post yesterday and picked up a pack of dust masks. Guess were they sat all day today.........in my truck gee good place for them
Just looked at myself in the mirror and I'm grey head to toe.
Well can't be any worse hen the cigarets I smoke.

Anyways. I got some pics were I'm stopping for the night. Prolly around 90% ready for primer. Got a lil bit of paint to still sand a and some body filler work. But my friend who is spraying the car told me not to worry about it and when I get the car there friday he will help me finish and we will prime it Saturday

Ill upload some Pics in a bit I'm using my phone right now and for some reason I can't upload from it

And thanks again for all the help specially u 69widetrack if it wasn't for u guys I'd have been screwing this up big time.

Can't wait to see the car with even just the black primer on it
I'm also a hobbyist painter. I have a 1972 Z-28 RS that I painted last year, and also a 1969 Corvette convertible that I'm restoring.

The third gen Camaros appear to be gaining in popularity. In the past year, I've painted three of these for my buds: 1985 Z-28 copper/gold; 1984 Z-28 charcoal grey; and a 1986 Camaro total color change from copper to torch red - we also transferred some parts (ground effects, rear hatch) from a 1992 IROC!... and get this, I'm helping yet another friend with his basket-case 1986 Z-28... currently in rattle-can black. He's been down on his luck, so we're gonna paint his car jet black....

I've shot single stage and bc/cc, and like many others definitely prefer bc/cc. The primary reason is the level of fix-ability you can obtain during the cutting and buffing stage. I don't have access to a paint booth with a down-draft system, etc and I do get dust in the clear - and have also had a mosquito or two find its way into the stuff - ugh! No worries, these flaws can usually be corrected using the bc/cc...

I've been using SPI epoxy and urethane primers, and also SPI universal clear coats. It's hands-down excellent stuff. For the basecoat, I've used PPG Shopline brand. Yes, it's PPG's economy grade paint; however, I find it to be just fine. A properly prepped surface, utilizing good technique (flash times, tack rag between coats, etc) - and above all, PATIENCE will serve you well.

Good luck to you... I've been reading your posts and can appreciate all the info you've been gathering and great advice you've obtained. Be patient, you'll do great (and save $$ too!)

I've attached a pic of the 1986 torch red 'Frankenstein' Camaro project we completed last May. If you're interested, I'll see if I can find a pic of our current 'basket-case' black Camaro project.

Ralph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1986 Camaro Project.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	75555  

Last edited by RalphL; 07-11-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Your not too crazy ....I had replaced a rocker,bottom pillar and now the 1/4 ...I opened up a can of worms...I stripped mine replaced the pins and bushings (rebuilt the hinges) and at the moment its in epoxy primer and sitting until I get some free time at the shop..One thing I screwed up was I primed it when it was 50 degrees and the primer isnt sticking very well so I have to scrape it all off and reprime it...THAT sucks ...
Old 07-13-2013, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

ok so primer got pushed off for possibly another 2-3 weeks maybe( as of right now he may call me today and tell me to bring it over still )

if the car is going to be sitting for 2-3 weeks is there anything i can spray on the car to protect the bare metal ? i do not have a garage or shed etc to put the car in to keep the rain off it
Old 07-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

car has to sit is there anything i can do to protect the bare metal for now?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

If it were me I'd wipe it down with wax and grease remover (I've had flash rust in the shape of my hand/finger prints before), throw a tarp over it, and DA any flash rust off when it's ready to prime.

Some would tell you to put Ospho on but I've no experience with it.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You DONT want to put Ospho on it if theres any filler on it ,the filler will suck it up like a sponge and give you all kinds of grief later...why not just prime it yourself ? I think Lizer may be right just throw a tarp on it and pray..
Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
You DONT want to put Ospho on it if theres any filler on it ,the filler will suck it up like a sponge and give you all kinds of grief later...why not just prime it yourself ? I think Lizer may be right just throw a tarp on it and pray..

i dont have a compressor or place to do it myself, as u can see i did all this in my apt complex parking lot. he wants to prime the car for me this comming saturday. im just going to leave it as is and da it real fast on friday and take it over to his farm
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

I agree with the suggestion to use a tarp (or car cover). You'll need to prep the surfaces for primer again anyway, so you could hit any flash rust at that time.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
i dont have a compressor or place to do it myself, as u can see i did all this in my apt complex parking lot. he wants to prime the car for me this comming saturday. im just going to leave it as is and da it real fast on friday and take it over to his farm
That should be fine. For the 'basket-case' 1986 Camaro we're working on - the owner had sanded the roof to bare metal all last week. He lives in a townhouse complex with no garage- and it rained in Maryland/DC all week. When he came by yesterday, we hit the flash rust with the DA with 80 grit, cleaned and prepped the surfaces, and sprayed two coats of epoxy primer.... no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	75706   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	75707  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.