getting real paint on my camaro - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I see that you used a razor blade...I'm sure that it did save you a lot of time...now to just get that primer off. Has your Epoxy arrived yet?

Ray
yeah dont knwo if u saw when i painted the hood with rustoleum about 2 years ago was diging threw my tool box looking for more da discs when i saw my gasket scrapper and my box of razor blades, lol thats when the lightbulb turned on and i figured id give it a shot , really wish i would have thought of that first as i had alread done any smoothing and filler work previously before i did the rusto would have saved me from having to do it over again

no i didnt have enough cash to buy everything last week, get paid on next tuesday and ill have the primer and paint/clear ordered

cars not going for primer till july 13th

anyways heres were im leaving it for the day

started working on it when i got home from my first job , got eat lunch now take a shower and head out to my other job

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

ok next im going to start on the front bumper cover and ground efx piece

the paint on them is in really good condition , problem is there are spider cracks in the paint how do i deal with this? or is this what the epoxy primer is for ?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

If you sand and apply Epoxy Primer over top of Spider Cracked rubber bumpers your going to bridge the cracks and they will come back...Sorry but that paint needs to come off...you can do this with sand paper on a DA...be careful not to gouge the plastic or Rubber or you can use a chemical "Rubber Bumper" Stripper...This stuff is caustic, it will take several coats and when you get down to the original primer, you will need to wash the bumper, allow it to dry and sand whats left...then you can apply Epoxy primer, block sand and paint. I hate doing rubber bumpers for this reason alone...but I'm not aware of any other method.

I'm still waiting for a reply on part numbers that you requested yesterday and should have them in the AM.

Wish I had better news but rubber bumpers are a PITA.

Ray
Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
If you sand and apply Epoxy Primer over top of Spider Cracked rubber bumpers your going to bridge the cracks and they will come back...Sorry but that paint needs to come off...you can do this with sand paper on a DA...be careful not to gouge the plastic or Rubber or you can use a chemical "Rubber Bumper" Stripper...This stuff is caustic, it will take several coats and when you get down to the original primer, you will need to wash the bumper, allow it to dry and sand whats left...then you can apply Epoxy primer, block sand and paint. I hate doing rubber bumpers for this reason alone...but I'm not aware of any other method.

I'm still waiting for a reply on part numbers that you requested yesterday and should have them in the AM.

Wish I had better news but rubber bumpers are a PITA.

Ray
damn thats what i was afraid of both front and rear covers need to be done , and the front ground efx peice as well

were can i find rubber bumper stripper id like to try that as i wasnt having much luck sanding the spare rear bumper cover i had

thanks man no rush i have atleast 5-6 weeks before i need the pearl powder
Old 06-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

AA lot of people don't care for the stripper...it seems to take a long time but what i found works is if you apply the stripper and cover it with saran wrap, it seems to cut through the paint faster. What I have used and found works the best, for me, is marhyde's aerosol stripper, any body shop supply place should have it.

If anyone else has any other method or would recommend a product I'd love to hear about it my self. I don't do many rubber bumpers these days and if there is something new and improved that would be great.

Ray
Old 06-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

this wouldnt be the stuff would it ?
NAPA AUTO PARTS

if so my local napa has it
Old 06-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

All I got was NAPA's online catologue.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
All I got was NAPA's online catologue.
odd link works for me

but this is the part number u can put in the search bar to bring it up

Part Number: BK 7653087
Old 06-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

This stuff will work...they do make one that is easier on rubber bumpers, you will need to exercise a bit of caution...try not to let it stay on bare rubber for any length of time.

Ray
Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
This stuff will work...they do make one that is easier on rubber bumpers, you will need to exercise a bit of caution...try not to let it stay on bare rubber for any length of time.

Ray
thanks , what is the cleanup procedure for this stuff , just wash off the rubber with soap and water , or do i need something to neutralize the stripper

im going to stop in my local napa since this stuff is a warehouse order they can prolly get me the one made just for plastic/rubber
Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Soap and water is fine...let it dry and sand with a DA...try and keep the DA flat so as not to gouge the rubber...and they should have the can for bumpers...may wanna try and get a couple of cans.

Ray
Old 06-20-2013, 04:58 PM

Last journal entry: Made some progress
Last photo:

when I stripped my front and rear bumpers I used the safe for the bumper striper,I took and sanded the surface first with a 100 grit sand paper and then applied.Seemed to work faster than just putting it on the surface without sanding first. Out the whole job the bumpers were the biggest PIA of the whole project. Just take your time.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS50 View Post
when I stripped my front and rear bumpers I used the safe for the bumper striper,I took and sanded the surface first with a 100 grit sand paper and then applied.Seemed to work faster than just putting it on the surface without sanding first. Out the whole job the bumpers were the biggest PIA of the whole project. Just take your time.
Thanks for chiming in, sanding the bumpers first is good advice and sorry I didn't mention it...brain fart...forgot. It's similar to sanding a substrate for painting, the chemicals enter the substrate easier and in this case, help the stripper do it's job...when a substrate is sanded for paint, the solvents enter the substrate and help with a chemical bond.

Ray
Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 PM

Last journal entry: Made some progress
Last photo:

Your Welcome.
I didnt see it mentioned any where and it made my job go a little easier and faster so I thought I would mention it.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys i figured sanding would work better , when we would chemically strip the powder coating of the dragster chassis we would hit them with sandpaper first as it would be easier to strip once we put the stripper on it

i really do need a real da sander im using an attachment for my drill not always easy to keep it perfectly flat

i miss being away from the racecar shop where i had acess to any tool i could ever need and then some lol, but the tradeoff of getting out of new jersey was well worth not having all the tools at my disposal

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.