Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Getting rid of waste.
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 08:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Getting rid of waste.

Getting rid of waste.

The number one problem of a do-it at home painter is getting rid of waste “legally”.

Body shops pay certified haulers to haul away 55 gallons of drums of waste and this is very expensive. Some shops have recyclers that convert the waste to reusable gun cleaning thinner. These recyclers cost $1500 and up and will do 5 gallons a day and more depending how big of a unit you buy.

Now dumping waste outside the garage is one illegal and second can be very expensive if caught. Not counting fines it can cost $15,000 just for a 3 foot square area to have a certified company come and dig it up, clean the dirt and replace.
You are responsible even after you sell your house, if the new owner turns you in.

Here is a picture of three months of waste in my garage. I collect my wife’s kitty liter buckets and she buys dishwashing soap in the big buckets also.
Dump all your waste, primer, base, reducer, epoxy in the bucket it will continue to gel over time and if need be buy the cheapest can of activator and dump in and stir.

It is totally illegal to dump liquid paint in you dumpster or garbage can but once in a gelled or dry form it is totally legal to place out for the garbage man to pick up.
You’re looking at 30lbs in the picture.

Another area of high volume waste is cleaning a dirty gun that has plugged up, this can result in 2-3 quarts of urethane reducer or lacquer thinner.

In the picture you will see a gallon of carb cleaner, cost is about $24, this can replace a can I had use for over 10 years. It has a tray for the cap and needle and NOTHING will clean a gun faster than carb cleaner.
The carb cleaner will not hurt plastic cups or the plastic tops, nor will it hurt the guns that are anodized.
Five minutes of soaking, hit the gun with a brush and dip again and wipe dry and run a shot glass of thinner through the gun and you’re ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waste 001.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	7821   Click image for larger version

Name:	waste 002.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	7822