Hot Rod Forum banner

Getting Rodding Experience without having a car

785 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  kgard 
#1 ·
Guys/Gals,

I currently don't have a car to build because I'm not sure what I want to build. One minute I want to build a chevy Fleetline, the next minute I want to build something else. I just can't make up my mind. I just know I want to build something pre-1958. Anyway, I'm a novice to building hot rods. The little experience that I have came from building aircooled volkswagens. I wanted to run this by you all first to see if I was thinking on the right path. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to ask some of the hotrodders in my area (we have some awesome cars in the Hampton Roads, Tidewater Virginia area) if they would be willing to trade their experience for some free labor. I don't want any money I would just like to be able to help them with whatever they are doing just to gain the know how. Does this sound like the way to go or is this just wishful thinking. I'm definitely mechanically inclined. I've just never built an american car before.

thanks for your input.

#2 ·
Sounds like a reasonable idea to me. I started a roadster project after my son had grown up and left home, so had it all to do myself with no help whatsoever. I had to build fixtures to hold components while I built frame/crossmember/supports to locate and nail these components into the car. If I had someone to help and just hold them in position while I tacked them, it would have taken half as long to build the car.

I would think that if you asked around and found someone who is working alone on a project, he/she would welcome some help in return for adding to your education. I know I would have taken you up on your offer.

#4 ·
Some guys would welcome the idea of teaching you how to do everything they know, others would be more concerned about you getting in the way, screwing up something expensive, or not showing up to lend a hand. Right now I have two people I am teaching how to do things, one is a 17 year old kid with ADHD, so he is a handful whenever he is around. Seems to disappear right when I need a hand, but he has learned to stay out of the way. The other is a 25 year old guy who has no direction in life, and only a passing interest in anything.

The best way to learn is by doing, having someone around who can answer questions and give you guidance is what you really need. If you have a garage and some tools, just get started. Learn to weld, learn to bump dents, learn to rebuild engines and transmissions, learn all the stuff you can pick up from reading so you at least have an idea. Then go do it. It took me 25 years to get where I am now, and my body work still stinks, but my engines and transmissions last a long time and make good power.

Get your hands dirty and start something. Build something small to start, like a pedal car to learn basics. Pick up an old car with a carb and learn how to fix it. Get to know the guys who do that sort of stuff in your area and make friends without being a pest, listen more than talking, and lend a hand with their projects, and always be honest. :)

Or move to the U.P. and you are more than welcome to hang out in my shop of horrors and build stuff.

#7 ·
Working on cars by yourself is definitely no fun. My advice is get a cheap/free block and start building that. The SBC 350 is always a good choice because God, Mickey Mouse, and everybody makes parts for it and plus the same three also make mount conversion kits to put one in just about every chassis ever created since the dawn of time. This way you can take your time building a motor, and also take your time finding that right chassis to plunk it down in to. It's what I was going to do until I found a great deal on my current project chassis.

Thumpin, where are you at in the UP? My folks have retired in Ironwood (my birthplace) amd it's always nice to find someone who knows what a pasty is!

#8 ·
speedfoos said:
Working on cars by yourself is definitely no fun. My advice is get a cheap/free block and start building that. The SBC 350 is always a good choice because God, Mickey Mouse, and everybody makes parts for it and plus the same three also make mount conversion kits to put one in just about every chassis ever created since the dawn of time. This way you can take your time building a motor, and also take your time finding that right chassis to plunk it down in to. It's what I was going to do until I found a great deal on my current project chassis.

Thumpin, where are you at in the UP? My folks have retired in Ironwood (my birthplace) amd it's always nice to find someone who knows what a pasty is!
Just east of Marquette, driving down M28 no gearhead alive can miss my place in daytime.

#9 ·
speedfoos said:
it's always nice to find someone who knows what a pasty is!
I know of 2 types of pastys, ones for covering something up :drunk: and the other is like a pot pie.. :drool: which one you talking about?

Look around for a small shop that has the cool stuff around the outside, low dollar type of operation, hang out, stay out of the way, do what you're asked to do, sweep the floor, clean up the bathroom, show some initiative. Give it a few weeks, if you're not getting anywhere, move on.

#11 ·
Well Guys,

Maybe I need to give a little more backgroung about myself. First I'm a 43 year old kid with a family and I also am a software Engineer by profession. So, I don't think I would be too bad of a student LOL! The good thing about it, Thumpin, is that you are still showing them and giving them both something to do in spite of some of the headaches they may cause LOL. I commend you for that because I'm sure they could be doing something much worse. I'm just glad to know that me asking someone to trade free labor for experience is not an off the wall offer.

thanks to everyone for responding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.