Getting Started - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2003, 07:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Getting Started

Howdy gents. I have to say, after all my searching online, this is one of the better sights for hot rodding that I've seen. Lotsa good poop and folks seem willing to help.
So what's my project? Well, I wish it was a 32 tudor but the missus wants a house and I have a kid in college so it looks like it will be a T Bucket.
I have a 318, auto and drive shaft out of an 84 van. Car Craft has a good article on how to build 400 hp out of a baby mopar which should be plenty for a bucket. The biggest concern I have right now is meeting emission standards for Texas. More research as it where.
I'm looking at the pre fabbed frames (good starting point) but would like to put IFS on it. Haven't seen to many with that so I'll be doing some reading.
Anyone else out there playing in a bucket?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2003, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

I like the T-buckets, it's a great way to drive around with crazy power-to-weight ratios.
The truck/van 318 should have a rear sump pan, which is probably best for the T buckets. Sanderson makes block hegguer headers, or custom ones could be made from a set of small block Chevy headers, the style that go out with four tubes, then sweep back and collect, like many T buckets seem to have, both engines are E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E ?
Many manufacturers make frame kits, something surely will fit your needs.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2003, 04:36 PM

I know buckets aren't as glamourous (or expensive) as other cars but they still turn heads when they go down the road. Like you say, their power to wt has to be a hoot. I haven't made up my mind about the body, kinda like the C Cab look (extra space) but I also like the 29 pickup body.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

I think as far as street rods go the T buckets turn just as many heads as anything, if not more. The exposed engines are eye catchers.

I love the "C" cab look.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:18 AM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

C-Cabs are great for shows, just ask my wife. She has chairs for us and a couple extra (friends might show up) umbrellas (small clip on) snacks, ice chests.purse, cameras, change of clothes (too hot,too cold) and not to forget the pop-up canopy. The only problem is at shows everybody wants to see in the back and when the door is open it looks like one of our closets. Norm.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:58 PM

Nice C Cab Bud. I haven't seen any fiberglass bodies in that style, did you build it yourself?
There's a fella, goes by the nick name rotten roberts, that is building an all steel C Cab. It's similar to the "Paddy Wagon" model I built many moons ago. He has a web site showing the whole build process. He built everything, including the frame. He used to offer cad designs for what he did (no charge) which was pretty cool.
I've tried to find some good pictures of C Cab's on line but there hard to find. They have simple lines (easier to duplicate), you can make them out of wood, fiberglass or steel so whatever medium your comfortable (expereinced) with you are good to go.
I wouldn't mind seeing a few wild versions again, Boot Hill Express, Popcorn Wagon etc. I'm not sure about the outhouse though!
Old 12-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

No I didn't build it myself. Made a few changes but its basically the way I bought it. There's a guy I've seen at three or four shows this year and he's always measuring this and that. He has a bucket and wants to stretch it into a C Cab. I think he has seen all the s!!! my wife can get into it. There FUN! Norm.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:15 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

I like the roadsters

I was thinking about a roadster with a chevy straight 6 engine. I have seen to many V8 T's spinning around just trying to get out on the highway, the HP to weight thing kill's the traction possibilities?

Tazz
trolloligest

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 12-31-2003, 05:23 PM

Straight six eh, they used to be pretty popular. Cliford makes a lot of go fast stuff for the long six, so power shouldn't be a problem.
Hot Rod (?) had an article several years ago with a bucket that had a four banger that was juiced up. It was dang quick and got good gas mileage to boot.
I like the idea of the C Cab having a little more space. It would be fun to build something like the Beer Wagon but your stuff would be out in the open. If I'm ever gonna get Momma to go to something very far away, I have to have someplace for her "stuff".

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.